Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Alexander Podelko <ap...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/10/02 20:38:17 UTC

Manual grouping of samples?

Hi,
I wonder if there is an option to manually group samplers during recording (as, for example, in LoadRunner with start/stop transactions).

It looks like "Use Recording Controller" / "Put each group in a new transaction controller" does it based on a delay, name it by first URL, and doesn't enable "Generate parent sample" by default.

In my case I have a few requests for each user action / transaction and URLs look exactly the same (the difference is inside HTTP request bodies in somewhat encoded format). Plus some requests may take a while. Plus it is a long sequence of steps. For example, create report, add a grid, change columns, change rows, preview, save, etc.
So I am getting dozens of groups that looks practically identical. And some may be broken - if the request to execute report take long time, it gets into a next group separate from requests to prepare the run... So after recording I need to spend a lot of time figuring out what each group does, renaming them, and re-grouping when needed.
Any  better way? Thanks,Alex

Re: Manual grouping of samples?

Posted by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com>.
Hello Alexander,
Find some answers below.

Regards

On Monday, October 2, 2017, Alexander Podelko <ap...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder if there is an option to manually group samplers during recording
> (as, for example, in LoadRunner with start/stop transactions).
>
> It looks like "Use Recording Controller" / "Put each group in a new
> transaction controller" does it based on a delay,

yes but it can be adjusted in the test script recorder if your application
has long running requests

> name it by first URL,

you have control on this through Transaction name /prefix.
Next version improves this.

>  and doesn't enable "Generate parent sample" by default.

No because this setting will hide information to the web report.
The web report can filter children of a TC provided you apply the naming
convention.

> In my case I have a few requests for each user action / transaction and
> URLs look exactly the same (the difference is inside HTTP request bodies in
> somewhat encoded format). Plus some requests may take a while. Plus it is a
> long sequence of steps. For example, create report, add a grid, change
> columns, change rows, preview, save, etc.
> So I am getting dozens of groups that looks practically identical.

As you can set the name of TC during recording + duration you have control.
You can still move children in the initial TC if needed.
In our experience, > 200 tests, it is very usable.
Bit still we can improve

> And some may be broken - if the request to execute report take long time,
> it gets into a next group separate from requests to prepare the run... So
> after recording I need to spend a lot of time figuring out what each group
> does, renaming them, and re-grouping when needed.
> Any  better way?

This os due to the fact that samplers are added to tree on respinse comes
back, so we could add them ince request is sent instead.

--

Regards
Ubik Load Pack <http://ubikloadpack.com> Team

Cordialement