Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2008/06/10 10:44:50 UTC

[T5] overriding application-wide message catalog location?

Hi all,

Tapestry5 is shaping up quite nicely, great work!
As a result, I have chosen Tapestry 5 as the framework to build a new
project on :-)

Inevitably, there will be questions and here is mine:
   Is there some way to override application-wide message catalog
location? The default is WEB-INF/<appname>.properties

Why would I want to do that? Well, historically we have used Spring
Web-MVC for our applications and there we stored the application message
catalog in WEB-INF/messages/messages.properties and I would like to keep
that location unchanged. Easier for our translators.

As far as I can see in the source code, this location is pretty much
hardcoded? org.apache.tapestry.services.TapestryModule has:

     public ComponentMessagesSource buildComponentMessagesSource(
             @ContextProvider
             AssetFactory contextAssetFactory,

             @Inject
             @Value("WEB-INF/${tapestry.app-name}.properties")
             String appCatalog)
     {
         ComponentMessagesSourceImpl service = new
ComponentMessagesSourceImpl(contextAssetFactory
                 .getRootResource(), appCatalog);

         updateListenerHub.addUpdateListener(service);

         return service;
     }

As this location is hardcoded, I guess I have two options:
* patch Tapestry to make it configurable
* override the definition of ComponentMessagesSource with my own
implementation (or just my own configuration)

I guess the first option is a long-term solution and second is a
short-term solution?

I'm willing to investigate the possibility for patching Tapestry (any
pointers are very welcome), but at the same time, I would also like to
implement the short-term solution to solve the issue at hand.

While investigating the possibility to override, I came across the
following.
On page http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/module.html
it is written that:
"Service ids must be unique; if another module contributes a service
with the id "Indexer" (or any case variation thereof) a runtime
exception will occur when the Registry is created."

Does this mean that I cannot override the default
ComponentMessagesSource service implementation?

I hope I misunderstood something :-)

And, while I'm already consuming airtime here: how can I override the
default tapestry configuration mechanism with my own? So instead of
taking parameters from web.xml, I can implement my own way of loading
them (e.g. from properties file, from DB, etc).

Rgds,
Neeme

RE: [T5] overriding application-wide message catalog location?

Posted by Cordenier Christophe <Ch...@atosorigin.com>.
Hello Davor,

What is the best solution from your point of view ? As there is many options in Tapestry 5 framework, i'm not always sure of the one I choose to do something.

Service Alias is a really powerful feature to replace an existing service implementation, Decoration can be used as well but from my Point of view, the principle of decoration is near to the "aspect" concept and may be more suitable to implement general behaviour like logging.

Thanks in advance for your answer,
Christophe.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
To expand on this:

A decorator is passed the service to delegate to, with the intention
that it will, at some point, invoke methods on the delegate.  However,
this doesn't have to be the case.  A decorator is free to completely
replace the original service if it so wishes.  The advantage of that
is that there's no naming ambiguity ... there's just the single
service.  The disadvantage is that the decorator has to really
understand the implementation of the service it replaces.  For
example, the ComponentMessagesSource service has some extra
implementation:

public ComponentMessagesSource buildComponentMessagesSource(
            @ContextProvider
            AssetFactory contextAssetFactory,

            @Inject
            @Value("WEB-INF/${tapestry.app-name}.properties")
            String appCatalog)
    {
        ComponentMessagesSourceImpl service = new
ComponentMessagesSourceImpl(contextAssetFactory
                .getRootResource(), appCatalog);

        updateListenerHub.addUpdateListener(service);

        return service;
    }

The alternative is to define a new service, say
"CustomizedComponentMessagesSource".  However, you will then start
seeing errors becuase there will be two services that use the same
service interface, and injections (that use just the service interface
and no additional annotations) will be ambiguous.  This is where you
can disambiguate, using the Alias service.  A contribution there
influences the injection process (Tapestry IoC is partrially
implemented in itself, which can be alternatly sublimely powerful and
hair raising) ... in any case, the contribution removes the ambiguity
on service type.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: [T5] overriding application-wide message catalog location?

Posted by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cordenier Christophe <Ch...@atosorigin.com>.
Hello

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
This could easly be addressed by introducing a new symbol for the path
to the application message catalog, which would allow an application
override.  Please add an issue to JIRA.

Howard M. Lewis Ship