Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/05/23 09:21:52 UTC

[Lazy Consensus] Release schedule - general and NB 11.1 specific

Hi,

OK, as requested I'm starting a lazy consensus thread] following the
discussion thread on draft release schedule -

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ea5189b51477cfca2b18e9c122872d36ab3ef6d9babf27c4aa649c3d@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Release+Schedule

This is to get consensus on the following broad points and specifics
that affect how / when we release NB 11.1, and how we present it to
users.  Other aspects of the release plan are definitely still up for
discussion and modifications as necessary.  If you have any objections
or things to clarify, please respond here by Tues May 28th.

General

* Four releases a year - mid-January, mid-April, mid-July, mid October.
* One release a year (April), starting with NB 11.0, is an LTS that
will be kept available until following April.
* Only LTS has a full NetCAT process, and an emphasis on stability
over features.
* Each release has a feature freeze date one month in advance, two
months in the case of LTS to fit in NetCAT.
* All commits to master are intended for the release - only required
PRs should be merged between feature-freeze and release dates.  Master
should always be releasable.
* Major number is increased with LTS - so NB 12.0 will be in April 2020.
* Critical and security updates may be pushed via UC to last and LTS
release - otherwise releases are not expected to get new features.

NB 11.1 -> 11.2 specifics

* NB 11.1 release date will be ~15th July.
* NB 11.1 feature freeze date will be 15th June.  Features for NB 11.1
should be merged by that date.
* NB 11.1 beta(s) will be made available for testing as soon as
possible after feature freeze date.
* NB 11.2 merge window will open after 15th July release, with
currently intended feature freeze ~15th Sept and release ~15th Oct
* NB 11.0 will remain available alongside NB 11.1, 11.2 or 11.3 until
NB 12.0 is released in April 2020.

Open questions

* Jan raised important point of whether freezing master hinders
development, and whether we need a "next" branch.  I would suggest we
start with freezing master and review after NB 11.1 release, but
during release process if it becomes a real problem.  Personally I
think it would be worth considering feature branches for this that can
be merged and closed.  If we do have a long-lived "next" branch and
end up cherry-picking from it to master do we gain anything or are we
better continuing with cherry-picking to release branches?

* Glenn raised important issue on NetCAT scheduling / test-spec
review.  How that fits in the draft schedule definitely needs
reviewing, although I don't think it affects the other key dates, and
doesn't have a direct NB 11.1 implication(?)

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

Re: Issues for NB 11.1

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Use the version "Next" in JIRA

Issues for NB 11.1 (was: Re: [Lazy Consensus] Release schedule)

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Re: [Lazy Consensus] Release schedule - general and NB 11.1 specific

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Would maybe having a “feature request” type request in Jira to help plan/preschesule to align up with the JDK deliveries a build would be good?

So have an umbrella “support jdk version x” ticket which could have linked child tickets like
(1) update build for JDK x,
(2) add tips/hints for new jdk features (I.e. new key words, guidance on how to convert to lambda, new switch expressions, etc.)
(3) support Jsr y
(4) updates / run tests
(x) etc.

Maybe could also for Jakarta EE releases.

For that matter if there are other language could have similar pre-planned tickets as well.

Could then clone as needed with each new expected release

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, 27 May 2019 at 08:20, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> PS: Next one, after that, is planned for March 2020, however note that the
> schedule for that will not be published until JDK 13 is released.

Thanks!  I thought there might be more up about JDK 13+, but that
explains why I couldn't find it. :-)  OK, so assuming the JDK schedule
is roughly how the last few have been, I hope the proposed NB schedule
lines up fairly well.  We should probably review and finalise the
freeze and release dates for the relevant NB release once the JDK
schedule is available in case there is a noticeable difference though?

Other than that, thanks for all the feedback, and I guess we're at
least good to go with NB11.1 at least.

I'm just heading to Saarbrucken for a free software meetup for a few
days, so may be a little incommunicado until next week.  Once back
I'll get on with some preliminary tasks, and make sure I've got all
info and permissions I need sorted.

Other than that, time to figure what PR's definitely are intended for
NB 11.1 to make sure they're ready and merged by June 15th.  In light
of that I've re-described the NB11.1 PR label to be "Candidate for
merge before NetBeans 11.1 feature freeze (Jun 15th)", and later we
can use it for intended bug fixes?  Wonder if a NB11.2 label would be
useful for know for marking things that seem ready but we might want
to keep back?

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [Lazy Consensus] Release schedule - general and NB 11.1 specific

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
PS: Next one, after that, is planned for March 2020, however note that the
schedule for that will not be published until JDK 13 is released.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi Geertjan,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Hi Neil,

Great.

Just one thing — I realize we’re no longer tied to being in sync with the
JDK release schedule, which is great and so on, but on the other hand if
tweaking the schedule slightly so that we can sync with JDK releases anyway
(not a bad thing in principle, since NetBeans is itself built in Java and
not some other language or technology and hence undeniably on a technology
level has a closer affinity to Java than anything else), then I think we
should consiser that.

For example, even though we could agree on the schedule exactly as proposed
by Neil, we could commit to providing a Beta release in sync with the
release of a JDK release, if that release is not too far off our release
dates as proposed by Neil. So, practically, Neil suggests an October
release and since the next JDK is scheduled for September, we could focus
on a Beta of the NetBeans release in sync with that.

So, note I’m not pushing for us to be in sync with JDK releases. Instead,
I’m suggesting that if a JDK is set to be released in the neighborhood of
one of our releases, we could target a Beta release, where that makes
sense, to be released as close as possible to that JDK release date.

Gj

Posted by Victor Corral <vc...@gmail.com>.
HARD At WORKNOT

Posted by Victor Corral <vc...@gmail.com>.

AW: [Lazy Consensus] Release schedule - general and NB 11.1 specific

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Fine with that 😊