Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com> on 2000/11/17 16:24:54 UTC

Additional startup parameters [C2]

This is brought on by a fix for the getResource() issue
I had with WebSphere.  There is a bug in the implementation
that doesn't load the URL handler for the particular
protocol 'classloader:'.

Miclael Harris from the JetSpeed sent me a "Servlet" that
forces the loading of a particular class.  I don't find
that a workable solution, so I have an alternative solution
that would work for a number of implementations.  I have
a feeling that such carelessness with vendors is inevitable
on what they perceive as special case scenarios.

I propose that we have an additional startup parameter that
will force the loading of classes for us.

force-load = com.ibm.servlet.classloader.Handler

In other words, the parameter "force-load" has a comma
separated list of fully qualified classes that require
section--otherwise it iterates through the classes and
forces them to load.  If it doesn't load, then we need
to throw a ServletException from init().

---------------------------------------
If you lust for Ham and Eggs, you have
committed breakfast in your heart
already.   -- C. S. Lewis

Re: Additional startup parameters [C2]

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> This is brought on by a fix for the getResource() issue
> I had with WebSphere.  There is a bug in the implementation
> that doesn't load the URL handler for the particular
> protocol 'classloader:'.
>
> Miclael Harris from the JetSpeed sent me a "Servlet" that
> forces the loading of a particular class.  I don't find
> that a workable solution, so I have an alternative solution
> that would work for a number of implementations.  I have
> a feeling that such carelessness with vendors is inevitable
> on what they perceive as special case scenarios.
>
> I propose that we have an additional startup parameter that
> will force the loading of classes for us.
>
> force-load = com.ibm.servlet.classloader.Handler
>
> In other words, the parameter "force-load" has a comma
> separated list of fully qualified classes that require
> section--otherwise it iterates through the classes and
> forces them to load.  If it doesn't load, then we need
> to throw a ServletException from init().

+1 go for it.

Giacomo (who is working on all those mails he had marked
	 for being answered :)