Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/15 05:41:53 UTC

Stratos developer guide: demo environment

In the developer guide [1], these is a section "How does Apache Stratos
(Incubating) work?".

After reading this section, it would be useful for the reader to have the
option to go through a quick hands on demo of the workflow that was
explained in the section.

Does the wso2 live demo service support the workflow outlined in the dev
guide using git for a repo?  If not, do the VMware images support the
workflow?  Are there any other options for a developer to quickly try out
the workflow?

Many thanks,
Chris
---
[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GiEsqVbqhp0rBqf6LhpNqB57TVxIApNg9o1Sk0zI9Oo/edit

Re: Stratos developer guide: demo environment

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Chris,

Here from [1] you can get idea of stratos layered architecture. As you can
see there is a layer called "PaaS framework", which explain components of
it. All apache stratos build components are belongs to it. Simply what we
are building is a PaaS framework. When we add cartridges + IaaS layer its
become the PaaS. ( we are giving sample cartridges like PHP, tomcat and
MySQL, in that sence we can see its a PaaS. But our main focus is in the
PaaS framework)

[1]
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/m0GpGuu93EfdGgm_kcNIc2VjMhbl1VwNQLfZfY-PfAQX_xOJcpvsj94oKAm4e_KaXzBauZoSS2XoJhrDw6CemMVgFl27H049bplrX-GEb_UeFgxZ-CmurlNgIw

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys - will add this feedback.
>
> I'm also interested in understanding a bit more about this statement: "Stratos
> is a PaaS framework which you can build a PaaS":
>
> - my assumption was that Stratos is a PaaS that an organisation could
> install and use to deploy their applications into?  It seems that
> assumption is not valid if Stratos is a framework used to build a PaaS?
>  The word 'framework' makes me think of spring framework;  I.e. it is not
> an application, but is instead used to build applications.

applied above answer

> - what does an organisation need to do to create a PaaS on top of Stratos
> PaaS framework?

Create cartridges, what they need for there applications.

> - if Stratos is a PaaS framework rather than a PaaS, does that mean
> Stratos is only suitable for PaaS vendors and not for other organisations
> who just want a PaaS to deploy their applications to?

Its for both.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Please find my comments inline.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM, chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys - will add this feedback.
>
> I'm also interested in understanding a bit more about this statement: "Stratos
> is a PaaS framework which you can build a PaaS":
>
> - my assumption was that Stratos is a PaaS that an organisation could
> install and use to deploy their applications into?  It seems that
> assumption is not valid if Stratos is a framework used to build a PaaS?
>  The word 'framework' makes me think of spring framework;  I.e. it is not
> an application, but is instead used to build applications.

Correct. What Stratos provides is the framework where you can build up your
own PaaS by deploying different different Cartridges and also if you want
by adding more features.

- what does an organisation need to do to create a PaaS on top of Stratos
> PaaS framework?

Essentially, to create Cartridges and deploy them on Stratos PaaS Framework.

> - if Stratos is a PaaS framework rather than a PaaS, does that mean
> Stratos is only suitable for PaaS vendors and not for other organisations
> who just want a PaaS to deploy their applications to?

Not quite. As you know we already plan to ship few Cartridges (eg: PHP
etc.). So, if someone wants to deploy a PHP application etc., he/she can
leverage the Cartridges we ship.

I hope this helps.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: Stratos developer guide: demo environment

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: Stratos developer guide: demo environment

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Awesome stuff Chris,