Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by xalan user <xa...@ragweed.net> on 2003/01/24 23:22:54 UTC

Internal error: Segmentation in DoubleSupport.cpp during xalan compile

All -

I'm compiling from Xalan-C_1_4-src.tar.gz and xerces-c-src2_1_0.tar.gz
on a RH6.2 gcc/g++ 2.96 box. I'm following the outlines at:

http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build-winunix.html#UNIX
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/readme.html#jar

I'm aware I'm "exploring new grounds" by not compiling with g++ 3.1, and
wanted to know if anyone had successfully compiled against 2.96 or knows
how to correct the build Segfault I'm running into.

Environment variables set:
XERCESCROOT=/opt/xerces-c-src2_1_0
XALANCROOT=/opt/xml-xalan

[/opt/xml-xalan/c/src] ./runConfigure -p linux
Generating makefiles with the following options ...
Platform: linux
C Compiler:
C++ Compiler:
Extra compile options:
Extra link options:
Thread option:
bitsToBuild option: 32
Extra configure options:
Debug is OFF
I do not recognize the C++ compiler ''. Continuing anyway ...

creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -O -DNDEBUG         ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  -O -DNDEBUG         ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  -O -DNDEBUG         ) works...
yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  -O -DNDEBUG         ) is a
cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking for autoconf... autoconf
checking for floor in -lm... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for XMLByte... no
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile

If the result of the above commands look OK to you, go to the directory
/opt/xml-xalan//src and type "make" to make the XALAN-C system.

# make
[ lots of making and churning ]
c++ -O -DNDEBUG      -Wall -fPIC -DLINUX -D_REENTRANT  -c -I.
-I/opt/xerces-c-src2_1_0/src/ -I/opt/xerces-c-src2_1_0/include/xercesc
-I/opt/xerces-c-src2_1_0/include/  -o
/opt/xml-xalan//obj/DoubleSupport.o PlatformSupport/DoubleSupport.cpp
PlatformSupport/DoubleSupport.cpp:830: Internal error: Segmentation
fault.
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/> for instructions.
make: *** [/opt/xml-xalan//obj/DoubleSupport.o] Error 1

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm afraid I'm stuck.

Thanks for your time!

Re: Internal error: Segmentation in DoubleSupport.cpp during xalan compile

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

You are having the same problem everyone else has had with RedHat 6.2.
There is no such thing officially as gcc 2.96.  See here:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

You will never get any support for gcc 2.96 and there are no patches
available for it.  Also, there are many other problems with that version of
gcc, so there's no point in using it for production code.  You can either
move directly to gcc 3.2.1, or go back to gcc 2.95.3.

Alternatively, you could try the latest CVS code on the chance that the
problem will go away.

Dave

                      xalan user
                      <xalan-users@rag         To:      xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org
                      weed.net>                cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                                               Subject: Internal error: Segmentation in DoubleSupport.cpp during xalan
                      01/24/2003 02:22         compile
                      PM