Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jason Harris <jh...@widomaker.com> on 2001/12/10 19:43:02 UTC

some FreeBSD Berkeley DB hints

On FreeBSD, the db3-3.3.11_1 port is a pain.  It is careful not to conflict
with the db2 port's libraries and header files but cheerfully clobbers
its db_* executables.  It also does some weird renaming of the libraries
and puts the libraries and header files in ./db3 subdirectories -
actions that just cause more confusion.

Therefore, I wound up building and installing db3 by hand.  Make sure you
apply patch.3.3.11.1 and patch.3.3.11.2, cd to build_unix, then try this
configure incantation:

../dist/configure --enable-compat185 --enable-dump185 --enable-cxx

I got a clean build and install in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3.

I then did this to configure subversion 0.7 from the bootstrap tarball:

./configure --with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3

This worked all the way up to the point where the test program to grab
the db revision numbers was actually ran.  The problem is that
-L<path> _finds_ the shared objects while compiling, but that path isn't
used automagically when you try to _run_ the program.  For that you need
to run (as root):

ldconfig -m /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib/

RTFM on ldconfig(8) for more details.

After a lot of trial and error, I now have a _dynamically_ linked svn
executable _with_ server capability, and I don't have to bother with
building db3 again.  (Never mind the fact that db 4.0.14 has been released.)

HTH.

(NB:  I'm not on the mailing lists.)

--
Jason Harris
jharris@widomaker.com

Re: some FreeBSD Berkeley DB hints

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:40:43PM -0600, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Thanks for the tips, Jason.
>
> Since we're going to move to 4.x eventually (probably sooner rather
> than later), do you know of any similar issues there that we should
> watch out for?

well, at least for now, there are no Berkeley DB 4 packages for
FreeBSD, but when they show up, I imagine there will be similar
problems as there are now :(

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would

Re: some FreeBSD Berkeley DB hints

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Thanks for the tips, Jason.

Since we're going to move to 4.x eventually (probably sooner rather
than later), do you know of any similar issues there that we should
watch out for?

-Karl