Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Roger Dudler <rd...@iframe.ch> on 2005/11/29 11:48:12 UTC

Submitted new logos

Hi there,

I've submitted a logo to the issue. Please provide some feedback.

Nr. 10 / 11

Greets
Roger

Re: Submitted new logos

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
One warning about referencing logos by number at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-297 . Jira doesn't
necessarily add a newly submitted logo to the end of the list, which
means that a new logo submission can change the numeric position of the
others. Logo #5 today could be #8 tomorrow, depending on submission
activity.

So it might be more reliable to reference logos by file name; e.g.,
derby4.jpg, derby_logo_only.jpg, etc.

  -jean

RE: Submitted new logos

Posted by Samer Kanjo <sa...@kanjo.net>.
I like number 11, it looks very clean and business oriented. I like the hat
in that logo much better than the other hats. Perhaps some color could be
incorporated into the logo, maybe the hat or the word Derby. I also like the
font choice and size in relation to the hat.

The hats in logos 1-3 are too literal with the feather not appearing to be
well integrated. The hat in logo 10 and 11 seems a bit more playful yet
serious. In addition these logos do not include the name Derby.

Logos 5, 6, and 12 make me think of a music, at the very least headphones
with the 'Y' being the headphone wires. This would be a very confusing logo.

I am not sure what the knight logos are representing. When I see the knight
I think of chess or a construction company. It just seems odd to me.

The feather is recognizable as Apache and as an Apache project I understand
the relationship suggested by including the feather but I don't think it
should be included as part of the Derby logo. The logo should be distinct in
itself without drawing references from Apache. Let Derby stand on its own.

-Samer

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I guess since I'm calling for the vote, I get to make the rules
(although of course I'm open to comments) :)

An image must be attached to the JIRA issue and explicitly licensed to
Apache to be considered for the vote.  If there are four images, each
image must be uploaded independently.

I'll send out a full set of rules for the vote to get comments; the
final set of rules will be included with the vote.

David

Re: Submitted new logos

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> My firefox browser doesn't seem to have the right plugin to view
> http://www.geocities.com/andrew_kachalo/portfolio/derby/ .

To be able to see the site, you probably need to download and install a
ShockWave Flash player/plugin. The site includes an object of the
MIME-type application/x-shockwave-flash, and the extension .swf.

> At any rate, the only logos that can be considered for the contest are
> those that are uploaded to
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-297 with a license granted to
> the ASF.

Well, since I think the logos on the above mentioned site look quite
good, I encourage the author to submit all his logo proposals to the
Jira issue, as long as there are no copyright issues tied to them (I
CC'd the author in case he does not read this list).

--
John

Re: Submitted new logos

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: Submitted new logos

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Submitted new logos

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Michael Segel wrote:
> Hopefully the artwork that some of these logos are based on are in the
> public domain. If you lifted another's copyrighted work and then modified
> it, you're on murky ground.

It's always good to discuss this important issue. One of the reasons
we're using Jira for logo submission is uploading a file prompts the
submitter to check a bullet that says "Grant license to ASF for
inclusion in ASF works (As per the Apache Software Licnese)". And here's
  wording from  http://db.apache.org/derby/logo_contest.html :

   "The only logos that will be considered are those for which the
license has been granted to the ASF. But only grant the license to the
ASF if you are entitled to do so. Don't include any elements to which
you don't have rights or permission."

I'll move that wording into the description at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-297, since that's where the
main action is.

  -jean

RE: Submitted new logos

Posted by Michael Segel <ms...@segel.com>.
Hopefully the artwork that some of these logos are based on are in the
public domain. If you lifted another's copyrighted work and then modified
it, you're on murky ground.

Of course, while one thinks of the Derby as a hat, or even a restaurant
(Brown Derby? ;-), It kind of takes a twist on the original concept.
(Off to the Races anyone?)

So why don't you do a horse race with the lead jockey wearing a Derby? ;-)
(just kidding.)

Just my .02 cents worth.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Juan Ignacio Villa wrote:
> I preffer the chess knigth. �Why the hat?
>
> The first hat look good except for the apache feather.
> Looks very different.
>
> greetins.
>
>  --- Roger Dudler <rd...@iframe.ch> escribi�:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>I've submitted a logo to the issue. Please provide
>>some feedback.
>>
>>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-297
>>
>>Nr. 10 / 11
>>
>>Greets
>>Roger

> Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
> Nuevos servicios, m�s seguridad
> http://correo.yahoo.es

RE: Submitted new logos

Posted by Ha...@gmx.de.
Derby is also a kind of hat.

--
Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

RE: Submitted new logos

Posted by Juan Ignacio Villa <ji...@yahoo.es>.