Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at> on 2014/02/02 12:22:03 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Falcon version 0.4-incubating

Hi,

On 31/01/14 06:09, Seetharam Venkatesh wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The issue is that you are
> building with JDK 1.7.x and Oozie is using maven-enforcer-plugin to check
> if its 1.6.x. Appreciate if you could rerun maven with JDK 1.6.x and see if
> it works for you.

That'd be the suggestion I was going to do, right. In parallel, I'd
recommend you to start to think about Java 7 support, Java 8 is coming
soon... but this is just a personal recommendation.

Another issue with your 'custom dependency management' is that does not
work well when selecting a custom path for the local maven repo on
building (I use to do it for check releases with a fresh environment).

Anyway, build the release with JDK 6 works fine, including tests. I'd
include those details in the README, as well of typical memory requirements.

Checking your NOTICE files I noticed your are including there many
dependencies with MIT and 3-clause BSD licenses, which are unnecessary.
For all other licenses, either guess or ask. Please, address the issue
in the following release.

Also, please, remember to keep updated the podling status page:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/falcon.html

After all, I my vote is +1 (binding) to release Apache Falcon
0.4-incubating. But I'll try to closely check all those open issues in
the next release.

Best,

--
Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Falcon version 0.4-incubating

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.
Hi Sergio,

Thanks for your response.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Sergio Fernández <
sergio.fernandez@salzburgresearch.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 31/01/14 06:09, Seetharam Venkatesh wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The issue is that you are
>> building with JDK 1.7.x and Oozie is using maven-enforcer-plugin to check
>> if its 1.6.x. Appreciate if you could rerun maven with JDK 1.6.x and see
>> if
>> it works for you.
>>

> That'd be the suggestion I was going to do, right. In parallel, I'd
> recommend you to start to think about Java 7 support, Java 8 is coming
> soon... but this is just a personal recommendation.

This is on a dependency for Falcon. Falcon does not have any restriction
for the jdk version.

> Another issue with your 'custom dependency management' is that does not
> work well when selecting a custom path for the local maven repo on building
> (I use to do it for check releases with a fresh environment).

We will open a jira and follow up on this.

> Anyway, build the release with JDK 6 works fine, including tests. I'd
> include those details in the README, as well of typical memory requirements.

Again, will add this to the release notes and opened
FALCON-292<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-292> to
track this.

> Checking your NOTICE files I noticed your are including there many
> dependencies with MIT and 3-clause BSD licenses, which are unnecessary. For
> all other licenses, either guess or ask. Please, address the issue in the
> following release.

Sure, will do and is being tracked at: FALCON-293

> Also, please, remember to keep updated the podling status page:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/falcon.html

Will do and is tracked at FALCON-294 as part of the release jira.

> After all, I my vote is +1 (binding) to release Apache Falcon
> 0.4-incubating. But I'll try to closely check all those open issues in the
> next release.

Thanks Sergio, sincerely appreciate it. Will close this vote and update the
ML with the results shortly.

> Best,
>

> --
> Sergio Fernández
> Senior Researcher
> Knowledge and Media Technologies
> Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
> Jakob-Haringer-Straße 5/3 | 5020 Salzburg, Austria
> T: +43 662 2288 318 | M: +43 660 2747 925
> sergio.fernandez@salzburgresearch.at
> http://www.salzburgresearch.at

Venkatesh

"Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
but rather when there is nothing more to take away."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry