Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Sandra Kosmalla <sa...@de.rhenus.com> on 2012/03/15 11:16:59 UTC

Use of karaf-maven-plugin with dependency management

Hello,

currently, I'm trying out the karaf-maven-plugin 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT. By the way,
a nice tool for generating the feature.xml. But I come upon a use case, for
that I cannot find a good solution. Maybe someone can help me.

The use case:

I have a multi-module Maven project with the following structure:

karaf-feature -> it should generate a kar archive for the deployment of the
total project.
|_pom.xml -> here, bundles for the deployment are defined as <dependency>
element without the <version> element, because the version is defined in the
parent pom.
bundle2
bundle1
pom.xml -> it contents the dependency management for the total project.

As expected, karaf-maven-plugin generates a feature.xml with all bundles
defined in the pom.xml of karaf-feature and all bundles have the start level
that is defined in the same pom.xml. Now, the problem is the following one:
Some bundles should have another start level. For that I have to define the
bundle with version in the src/main/feature/feature.xml (for example <bundle
start-level="10">mvn:commons-beanutils/commons-beanutils/1.8.3</bundle>) to
override the default start level. My problem with this way is that I have
two places where I have to set the version number for the special bundle.
Does a functionality exist that I can define the start level for separate
bundles without the version number in the feature.xml, so that
karaf-maven-plugin takes the version number of the pom.xml?

If not, I can image that it will be a nice feature.

Kind regards,

Sandra

Re: Use of karaf-maven-plugin with dependency management

Posted by Sandra Kosmalla <sa...@de.rhenus.com>.
Hi,

Sure.

The pom of the karaf feature project:

The src/main/feature/feature.xml :

The parent pom:

Thank you.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

could you paste your pom.xml and feature.xml ?

For a fined grained kar, you should define the feature.xml by yourself
as the karaf-maven-plugin uses:
- pom dependencies scope
- feature bundle tag (especially start-level and dependency attributes)

Regards
JB

On 03/15/2012 11:16 AM, Sandra Kosmalla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> currently, I'm trying out the karaf-maven-plugin 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT. By the way,
> a nice tool for generating the feature.xml. But I come upon a use case, for
> that I cannot find a good solution. Maybe someone can help me.
>
> The use case:
>
> I have a multi-module Maven project with the following structure:
>
> karaf-feature ->  it should generate a kar archive for the deployment of the
> total project.
> |_pom.xml ->  here, bundles for the deployment are defined as<dependency>
> element without the<version>  element, because the version is defined in the
> parent pom.
> bundle2
> bundle1
> pom.xml ->  it contents the dependency management for the total project.
>
> As expected, karaf-maven-plugin generates a feature.xml with all bundles
> defined in the pom.xml of karaf-feature and all bundles have the start level
> that is defined in the same pom.xml. Now, the problem is the following one:
> Some bundles should have another start level. For that I have to define the
> bundle with version in the src/main/feature/feature.xml (for example<bundle
> start-level="10">mvn:commons-beanutils/commons-beanutils/1.8.3</bundle>) to
> override the default start level. My problem with this way is that I have
> two places where I have to set the version number for the special bundle.
> Does a functionality exist that I can define the start level for separate
> bundles without the version number in the feature.xml, so that
> karaf-maven-plugin takes the version number of the pom.xml?
>
> If not, I can image that it will be a nice feature.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Sandra

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org