Posted to users@directory.apache.org by ade <ha...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/07 13:26:59 UTC

Re: [ApacheDS] [Studio]

as a newbie I'm completely baffled by this also. The tutorial seems to
contain a number of typos which stop someone of my LDAP level dead in their
tracks!

Created a partition using & "o=SevenSeas,dc=com" o=sevenseas" and in both
cases when trying to restart the server I keep getting a really useful --

Starting ApacheDS instance 'default'...
org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.exception.LdapOtherException:
java.lang.Integer cannot be cast to java.lang.Long at

which means absolutely nothing to me and I've no idea what to do now except
reinstall again and literally guess what how to fix.

I'm sure this is a great product but wasted so much time battling what
probably is a very simple problem, maybe I should try another product unless
someone can help and tell me what to try next?

Don't mean to sound ungrateful as obviously this if free but for us
thickies, we need a simple, accurate tutorial to follow

thanks in advance!

and to compound the problem, I can't even post what I want to because my <30
lines of post gets rejected because for some reason this system thinks "You
have lines longer than 80 characters. Fix that"

Re: [ApacheDS] [Studio]

Posted by Richard Mixon <rn...@custco.biz>.
I have not responded in a while, my conundrum was that what I had figured
out did not mesh well with the Apache DS user guide organization (my fault,
not theirs).

Once I figured things out I did prepare a granular set of 22 screen shots
documenting a successful way to get the SevenSeas tutorial working in
Apache DS Studio, using the embedded DS server.

I will finish a brief writeup over the weekend and submit these as a patch
for what they are worth.

BTW, since them I've not had too much problem with Apache DS.  The
development work we have done with the API works well on Apache DS and on
openldap.

 - Richard

--
Richard Mixon