Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/02/22 23:43:49 UTC

[Catalina] Nightly builds have changed

Ok,

I'm sure it is me not paying attention, but is there some reason why the
tomcat 4.0 nightly directory structure looks like this now:

common/lib/
 100 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       98496 Feb 22 03:46 jndi.jar
  56 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       53553 Feb 22 03:46 naming.jar
  76 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       74747 Feb 22 03:46 servlet.jar

server/lib/
 488 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff      498094 Feb 22 03:46 catalina.jar
 184 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff      187162 Feb 22 03:46 crimson.jar
  32 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       29871 Feb 22 03:46
jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar
  28 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       28404 Feb 22 03:46 jaxp.jar
  32 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       30543 Feb 22 03:46 warp.jar

In other words, why are things now in a nested /lib directory? Is that for
classloader issues?

thanks,

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous
<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/> && <http://java.apache.org/turbine/>

Re: [Catalina] Nightly builds have changed

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 2/22/01 3:07 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You need to do this anyway ... the vintage of Tomcat 4.0 that you have is out
> > of date, and in particular the whole session persistence thing was modified
> > (and tested) since what you have.
> >
> > Among other things, that is why you don't see logging messages related to
> > sessions and attributes being persisted -- that was added more recently.
>
> Actually, I believe the .jar file I'm using is up to date with regards to
> those changes.

True for catalina.jar, not true for bootstrap.jar, naming.jar, namingfactory.jar.
The latter two probably are not relevant for this issue, but bootstrap.jar
certainly is.  You should be using *all* of the JAR files from a particular build
together.

> It would be nice if the nightly builds would insert the nightly version
> number into there so that we can be absolutely sure next time. :-)

Good idea ... rev marking in some reasonable fashion makes sense.

> -jon

Craig

Re: [Catalina] Nightly builds have changed

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 2/22/01 2:55 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>
> wrote:
>
> > $CATALINA_HOME/server/classes   (i.e. unpacked directory)
> > $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/*.jar   (ie.. packed JAR files)
>
> Hmmm...I guess I just don't see the need for the /lib directory.
>
> ie:
> > $CATALINA_HOME/server/classes   (i.e. unpacked directory)
> > $CATALINA_HOME/server/*.jar   (ie.. packed JAR files)
>
> Oh well, I missed the vote. Probably to late now. Not a big deal. I will
> update my Scarab CVS to reflect this new system.

You need to do this anyway ... the vintage of Tomcat 4.0 that you have is out
of date, and in particular the whole session persistence thing was modified
(and tested) since what you have.

Among other things, that is why you don't see logging messages related to
sessions and attributes being persisted -- that was added more recently.

I'm going to do my tests with current CVS code of Tomcat 4.0.

> thanks,
>
> -jon

Craig

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Jon Stevens wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I'm sure it is me not paying attention, but is there some reason why the
> tomcat 4.0 nightly directory structure looks like this now:
>
> common/lib/
>  100 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       98496 Feb 22 03:46 jndi.jar
>   56 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       53553 Feb 22 03:46 naming.jar
>   76 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       74747 Feb 22 03:46 servlet.jar
>
> server/lib/
>  488 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff      498094 Feb 22 03:46 catalina.jar
>  184 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff      187162 Feb 22 03:46 crimson.jar
>   32 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       29871 Feb 22 03:46
> jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar
>   28 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       28404 Feb 22 03:46 jaxp.jar
>   32 -rw-r--r--   1 jon      staff       30543 Feb 22 03:46 warp.jar
>
> In other words, why are things now in a nested /lib directory? Is that for
> classloader issues?

Sort of.  The new bootstrap environment will add all of the following things
to the classloader that Catalina uses for its internal classes (the servlet
container part) if they exist:

    $CATALINA_HOME/server/classes   (i.e. unpacked directory)
    $CATALINA_HOME/servler/lib/*.jar   (ie.. packed JAR files)

This makes it easier for people who want to add customizations to Catalina --
they no longer have to JAR things up first.

It was discussed on TOMCAT-DEV last Friday.

> thanks,
>
> -jon

Craig

Re: [Catalina] Nightly builds have changed

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Quoting Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>:
>
> > That was part of the cleanup of where jar files are located to make it
> > easier to document/install jar files for the different class loaders.
> > The lib sub directories are there so that common and server can use an
> > optional classes directory for things like prop files.  The
> > catalina/docs/dev/classloaders.html file has been updated to document
> > the changes.
>
> BTW, servlet.jar is in both bin and common/lib. It can be safely removed from
> bin.

Yes, the jasper build was installing that, fixed.

I also fixed the catalina/docs/dev/classloaders.html doc,
I made some cut 'n' paste typos when I updated it.

Regards,

Glenn

RPMs

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
Hi Henri,

Could you make sure that the RPMs included in the M1 are self-contained ?
I installed a new machine, tried to use the RPMs - but they require
xerces.rpm.

I know where to find it, but other may have troubles :-)

Costin

Re: [Catalina] Nightly builds have changed

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@betaversion.org>.
Quoting Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>:

> That was part of the cleanup of where jar files are located to make it
> easier to document/install jar files for the different class loaders.
> The lib sub directories are there so that common and server can use an
> optional classes directory for things like prop files.  The
> catalina/docs/dev/classloaders.html file has been updated to document
> the changes.

BTW, servlet.jar is in both bin and common/lib. It can be safely removed from
bin.

Remy

Re: [Catalina] Nightly builds have changed

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.