Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by DilipSimha N M <nm...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/07 09:58:43 UTC

Problem with cache lookup for items on disk

Hi,
I am unable to use JCS to lookup from disk.
I want to test it with having a small in-memory size and then insert
huge number of elements.
So after inserting  "MaxObjects" number of elements, JCS should start
storing any more items on disk.
For now, I do not want purgatory to intervene, so I set it's size to 0.
I then set isEternal=true, so that none of the items are removed from
cache(neither from memory nor from disk).

After inserting 1000 elements, when I check on lookup, I see that
there are only a few entries(MaxObjects) in cache.
lookup fails for the rest of the entries.
In fact, lookup fails for the very first item itself.(If i start
looking up sequentially from 0-1000)

Can somebody help me on this please.
Is this a bug or is the cache configuration not right or is there any
other reason?

This is my cache configuration:

# PRE-DEFINED CACHE REGIONS
jcs.region.metadataCache=MDC
jcs.region.metadataCache.cacheattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.CompositeCacheAttributes
#jcs.region.metadataCache.cacheattributes.MaxObjects=100
jcs.region.metadataCache.cacheattributes.MemoryCacheName=org.apache.jcs.engine.memory.lru.LRUMemoryCache
jcs.region.metadataCache.cacheattributes.UseMemoryShrinker=false
jcs.region.metadataCache.cacheattributes.MaxMemoryIdleTimeSeconds=60
jcs.region.metadataCache.cacheattributes.ShrinkerIntervalSeconds=600
jcs.region.metadataCache.cacheattributes.MaxSpoolPerRun=500
jcs.region.metadataCache.elementattributes=org.apache.jcs.engine.ElementAttributes
jcs.region.metadataCache.elementattributes.IsEternal=true
jcs.region.metadataCache.elementattributes.IsSpool=true
#jcs.region.metadataCache.elementattributes.MaxLifeSeconds=15
jcs.region..elementattributes.IsRemote=false
jcs.default.elementattributes.IsLateral=false

# AVAILABLE AUXILIARY CACHES
jcs.auxiliary.MDC=org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheFactory
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes=org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.disk.indexed.IndexedDiskCacheAttributes
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.DiskPath=${user.dir}/cache_files/jcs_metadata
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.MaxPurgatorySize=0
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.MaxKeySize=1000000
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.MaxRecycleBinSize=5000
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.OptimizeAtRemoveCount=100000
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.OptimizeOnShutdown=false
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.ClearDiskOnStartup=false
jcs.auxiliary.MDC.attributes.ShutdownSpoolTimeLimit=60

thanks,
Dilip

Re: Problem with cache lookup for items on disk

Posted by DilipSimha N M <nm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
It looks like I have the exact problem as discussed some years ago in
this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org/msg00191.html

But in my case, I will not have any remove requests and hence the file
size will not reduce at any point of time.
I wonder if it's possible to have a configuration to split up the disk
files into multiple files and remove these files periodically based on
another new parameter which should limit the no of entries or size in
on-disk file.

regards,
Dilip