Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org> on 2011/08/31 12:36:28 UTC

apr site: Table headers misleading

Hi guys,

I like to point to people on IRC or MLs to

   http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html

for explaining how versioning works at Apache (yes, I mean Apache in general..mostly)

However, someone pointed out to me today that

  http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html#examples

is confusing, in particular:

Original Version    New Version    Compatible?"
2.2.3               2.1.7          No -- Compatibility with prior minor versions is not guaranteed.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org
GPG: 571B 8B8A FC97 266D BDA3  EF6F 43AD 80A4 5779 3257

Re: apr site: Table headers misleading

Posted by Martin Schlapfer <ma...@schlapfer.com>.
I believe it is reference to the Source Compatibility section that
compatibility can not be guaranteed: "However, if an application uses an
API which has become available in a particular minor version, it
(obviously) will no longer build or operate against previous minor
versions."