Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Andreas Reichel <an...@manticore-projects.com> on 2021/11/02 11:32:06 UTC

SpotBugs Violations

Greetings.

Fiddling around with the Gradle Build process, I spotted a lot of
SpotBugs violations.
While I am not a SpotBugs zealot (and usually would consider only of
the most critical exceptions), I wonder: What are we doing with these
exceptions?

Please correct me if I am wrong: It looks like all the exceptions are
reported and nothing is done about it?
If so, would it not make sense to:

1) define the SpotBugs Exceptions we actually do want to care about (e.
g. a customized Prio 1 list)
2) then clean out those in the code and
3) then enforce it during the acceptance of PRs in order to ensure that
never eva such an exception makes it into the code base again?

Am I missing something from my naive point of view?

Best regards
Andreas

Re: SpotBugs Violations

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I'd prefer to fix issues or mark them as ignored - ideally by code annotation. As opposed to failing builds. When we have no issues, then we can enforce zero issues in build.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 13:05, Andreas Reichel<an...@manticore-projects.com> wrote:

On Tue, 2021-11-02 at 12:00 +0000, PJ Fanning wrote:
> Any volunteer who wants to sort it out so we have zero spotbugs
> issues, code submissions are very welcome.

Thanks for the heads up.
Is there any agreement, which Top Prio Violations we care about and
which one we would just ignore because we are no zealots?

Should I come up with some amateurish suggestions (and let the build
fail only when those Top Prio Violations occur?)

Cheers
Andreas

Re: SpotBugs Violations

Posted by Andreas Reichel <an...@manticore-projects.com>.
Greetings!

On Tue, 2021-11-02 at 19:04 +0700, Andreas Reichel wrote:
> Is there any agreement, which Top Prio Violations we care about and
> which one we would just ignore because we are no zealots?

I have sorted out all Prio 1 issues and set the Gradle Task to fail
when any new Prio 1 issue occurs.
Please see PR #278.

I will appreciate feedback, if I shall continue like this with the Prio
2 issues.
 I'd recommend to enable those basic checks for the Git repo and PRs.

Furthermore I would like to suggest to integrate CheckStyle and PMD in
a similar way. I would work on that when you'd give me a go ahead.

Cheers
Andreas

Re: SpotBugs Violations

Posted by Andreas Reichel <an...@manticore-projects.com>.