Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Denis Kuzmenok <fo...@ukr.net> on 2011/05/31 22:18:29 UTC

Solr memory consumption

I  run  multiple-core  solr with flags: -Xms3g -Xmx6g -D64, but i see
this in top after 6-8 hours and still raising:

17485  test        21    4 10.0g 7.4g 9760 S 308.2 31.3 448:00.75 java
-Xms3g -Xmx6g -D64 -Dsolr.solr.home=/home/test/solr/example/multicore/ -jar start.jar

Are there any ways to limit memory for sure?

Thanks

Re: Solr memory consumption

Posted by Denis Kuzmenok <fo...@ukr.net>.
My  OS  is  also CentOS (5.4). If it were 10gb all the time it would be
ok, but it grows for 13-15gb, and hurts other services =\

RE: Solr memory consumption

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
PermSize and MaxPermSize don't need to be higher than 64M.  You should read on
JVM tuning. The permanent generation is only used for the code that's being
executed.

Re: Solr memory consumption

Posted by Dennis Schafroth <de...@indexdata.com>.
I ran out of memory on some big indexes when using solr 1.4. Found out that increasing

termInfosIndexDivisor

in solrconfig.xml could help a lot.

It may slow down your searching your index.

cheers,
:-Dennis

Re: Solr memory consumption

Posted by Alexey Serba <as...@gmail.com>.
> Commits  are  divided  into  2  groups:
> - often but small (last changed
> info)
1) Make sure that it's not too often and you don't have commit
overlapping problem.
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FAQ#What_does_.22PERFORMANCE_WARNING:_Overlapping_onDeckSearchers.3DX.22_mean_in_my_logs.3F

2) You may also try to limit cache sizes and check if it helps.

3) If it doesn't help then try to monitor your app using jconsole
* try to hit garbage collector and see if it frees some memory
* browse solr jmx attributes and see if there'r any hints re solr
caches usage, etc

4) Try to run jmap -heap -histo and see if there's any hints there

5) If none of above helps then you probably need to examine your
memory usage using some kind of java profiler tool (like yourkit
profiler)

> Size: 4 databases about 1G (sum), 1 database (with n-gram) for 21G..
> I  don't  know any other way to search for product names except n-gram
> =\
Standard text field with solr.WordDelimiterFilterFactory and
generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="1"
catenateNumbers="1" catenateAll="1" splitOnCaseChange="1" during
indexing isn't good enough? You might want to limit min and max ngram
size, just to reduce your index size.

Re: Solr memory consumption

Posted by Denis Kuzmenok <fo...@ukr.net>.
> Hey Denis,

> * How big is your index in terms of number of documents and index size?
5  cores,  average  250.000  documents,  one with about 1 million (but
without  text,  just  int/float  fields),  one  with  about 10 million
id/name documents, but with n-gram.
Size: 4 databases about 1G (sum), 1 database (with n-gram) for 21G..
I  don't  know any other way to search for product names except n-gram
=\

> * Is it production system where you have many search requests?
Yes, dependent on database, but not less than 100 req/sec

> * Is there any pattern for OOM errors? I.e. right after you start your
> Solr app, after some search activity or specific Solr queries, etc?
No, java just raises memory size used all the time until it crush.

> * What are 1) cache settings 2) facets and sort-by fields 3) commit
> frequency and warmup queries?
All settings are default (as given in trunk / example).
Facets are used, sort by also used.
Commits  are  divided  into  2  groups:
- often but small (last changed
info)