Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Bart Mellebeek <ba...@barcelonamedia.org> on 2009/03/24 20:20:18 UTC

wrappers for C# in UIMA?

Hi,

Is it possible to write UIMA wrappers (AEs) for existing C#
applications? Are there examples of anyone having done this before?

Thanks,
Bart

--
Bart Mellebeek
Barcelona Media – Centre d'Innovació - Innovation Centre

Re: wrappers for C# in UIMA?

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bart,

Other people have inquired about this, but to my knowledge nobody ever
did any work.

There are basically two ways to wrap C# code as a UIMA annotator which
could then be integrated with the UIMA Java framework:

1. create a UIMA compliant service that is "called" with a serialized CAS
    and replies with an updated serialized CAS (or delta CAS).
2. create a generic C# wrapper similar to the Perl, Python and Tcl wrappers
    built on top of UIMA C++.

The second approach assumes that the C# code can be called from C++,
and the CAS APIs in the UIMA C++ library can be called from C# to exchange
information in the CAS.

If either of these sound interesting, or you just want to get
additional confusing
answers, please ask for more details.

Regards,
Eddie