Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com> on 2013/07/12 01:59:37 UTC

need help with adding service to stack

I have a service FOO that is packaged in foo-1.0.rpm

I put my rpm up on my yum server and verified that 'yum install foo-1.0' works ok.

I want to add it to the Ambari stack. I have been trying to follow the notes at :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Adding+a+New+Service+as+part+of+the+Stack+Definition

I added a reference to my repo to ambari.repo like so:

[My-Ambari-Services]
name=My Ambari Services
baseurl=http://yum.mycompany.com/yum_repo/ambari
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1

I added the new service alongside the existing ones in the source code:
+repos
    +repoinfo.xml
+services
    Š MAPREDUCE et alŠ
    + FOO
       +metainfo.xml
       +configuration
          +configuration.xml

But I need some clarification on the tags in repoinfo.xml. So far I have:

<baseurl>http://yum.mycompany.com/yum_repo/ambari</baseurl><http://yum.mycompany.com/yum_repo/ambari%3C/baseurl%3E>
<repoid>My-AmbariServices</repoid>
<reponame>??????????</reponame>      <---- what is this????

I guess I'm not understanding where you tell ambari that service FOO lives in foo-1.0.rpm Š?

TIA

Re: need help with adding service to stack

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Aron,

Alternatively, you can install the service using the API after installation
of the cluster. The UI will start showing the new service on the Dashboard.

Final part of Step 3. Adding a New Service to an Existing
Cluster<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Adding+a+New+Service+to+an+Existing+Cluster>

-Sid

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Srimanth Gunturi <srimanth@hortonworks.com

Posted by Srimanth Gunturi <sr...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Posted by Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com>.
- Ok so looking at the hosts, I see that the ambari.repo file isn't getting
copied over .. so nothing is getting installed on them..  I need to
understand this bootstrap process better Š where is the code/script that
implements it?
Q: as I have modified ambari.repo, I'm wondering if my modified version
needs to be placed somewhere on my yum server?

Just to clarify what I did so far:
I added something like this to ambari.repo on the master ..  :

[My-Ambari-Services]
name=My Ambari Services
baseurl=http://yum.mycompanyname.com/yum_repo/ambari
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1
priority=0

Šand then I put the rpm for my new service plus the rebuilt
ambari-server/agent rpms  up on my yum server in the yum_repo/ambari folderŠ

- regarding versions - I'm a bit confused ..  :)
- In the source code I have (git clone git://git.apache.org/ambari.git), I
see stack versions  under src/main/resources/ :
stacks.HDP.1.2.0
stacks.HDP.1.2.1
stacks.HDP.1.3.0 <--- I added my service in hereŠ.
stacks.HDP.2.0.1 ???
- in the Ambari docs (on the web), versions 0.9, 1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3
are all mentionedŠ.

From:  Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>
Date:  Thu, 11 Jul 2013 19:38:08 -0700
To:  <am...@incubator.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: need help with adding service to stack

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Re: problem with the registration step

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Wow! Nice catch! :)

Might want to open a jira for this.

Posted by Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Aaron,

From:  Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com>
Date:  Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:28 PM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <am...@incubator.apache.org>

attached - thanks

From:  Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>
Date:  Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:00 PM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <am...@incubator.apache.org>

From:  Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com>
Date:  Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:28 PM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <am...@incubator.apache.org>

attached - thanks

From:  Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>
Date:  Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:00 PM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <am...@incubator.apache.org>

From:  Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com>
Date:  Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:28 PM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <am...@incubator.apache.org>

attached - thanks

From:  Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>
Date:  Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:00 PM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <am...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com>.
attached - thanks

From:  Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>
Date:  Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:00 PM
To:  "ambari-user@incubator.apache.org" <am...@incubator.apache.org>

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Posted by Aaron Cody <ac...@keywcorp.com>.
Thanks Sid, ok well that didn't seem to get me any furtherŠ

Q: should I be adding my service to the 1.3.0 stack tree or the 1.2.x stack
tree?
Q: what determines the version?
Q: how do you map a service name to the actual rpm containing the service?

After adding my service, I'm rebuilding the ambari rpms (server/agent) and
putting them up on my yum repo .. then setting the priority of my repo to 0
so that it trumps yours Š so that when I do the usual 'yum install

Posted by Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Aron,

You just need to add a new repo section to repoinfo.xml with,

[My-Ambari-Services] {= repo-id}
name=My Ambari Services {= repo-name}

-Sid