Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by "Sloane, Brandon" <bs...@tresys.com> on 2019/12/17 15:53:21 UTC

Developing against Scala 2.11

I am trying to debug issues that arrise under Scala 2.11. To this end, I regenerated my eclipse project for 2.11 by updating build.sbt to have 2.11 as the primary target and running 'sbt eclipse', followed by setting the scala instalation to 2.11 withing eclipse.

This led to a micro version incompatability of gen-javadoc in daffodil-japi, which I ignored by closing the japi and cli projects.

The remaining issue is that Eclipse complains that it cannot find: AssertMacros, LoggerMacros, SDEMacros

Thougts?

Brandon T. Sloane

Associate, Services

bsloane@tresys.com | tresys.com

Re: Developing against Scala 2.11

Posted by "Sloane, Brandon" <bs...@tresys.com>.
Thanks, that set me on the right track.

There are 2 issues at play:

1) daffodil-lib was not configured with any dependency on daffodil-macrolib

2) macros cannot be used in the same compilation run as they were defined.

To resolved these issues, I had to add daffodil-macrolib as a *library* to daffodil-lib, then remove daffodil-lib as a project depenedency and add it as a library dependency to all the other projects.

I assume (1) is just an issue where out build.sbt does something special for macrolib in a way that the sbt eclipse plugin does not know about.

For (2), my guess is that this limitation was loosed in 2.12 causing it to stop being a problem. There is probably a better way of telling how to sequence the compilations. However, since I am not planning on keeping this 2.11 dev environment around for long, I will just hope that this approach holds together long enough.
Try cleaning everything, separately compiling just the daffodil-macrolib module, then compile the rest.

The need for this went away some time ago, not sure why but may have been associated with the 2.11 to 2.12 move. That's the theory I'm suggesting here anyway.

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@tresys.com>.