Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Scott Ryan <sc...@staff.telkomsa.net> on 2006/08/15 21:03:14 UTC

Weird behaviour after disabling sa-learn

Hi, I have been doing some testing with SA - Using maildrop to do the spam
scanning.
In my maildrop script I was playing around with calling 'sa-learn --sync spam'
everytime spam was detected and 'sa-learn --sync ham' when messages were
clean. I had this running for a while to see what kind of impact/improvement
this had if any. I then came to the conclusion that there seemed to be no
point in teaching bayes spam when SA allready knows its spam, so I disabled
the sa-learn calls. All good.
Until I looked at my spam graphs - (generated with qmailmrtg7). I have
attached my graph so you can see the precise moment that I disabled sa-learn.
The load on the machine plummetted (expected) - but the graphs also indicated
that the number of mails scanned (clean + spam) had significantly decreased.
I am hoping that this is some type of error with qmailmrtg7 reporting,
because obviously (to management) something looks seriously wrong.

Any advice here would be appreciated

Scott Ryan
Telkom Internet
Good judgement comes with experience.