Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hu Hailin <i...@h2l.name> on 2010/07/14 16:19:40 UTC

[users@httpd] what does 0 mean of serving time

Hi,

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats

I'm using %D to log the time taken to serve requests.
I found the time might be 0 in nonspecific requests. The rate of 0
serving time goes the same trend with server load.

Does it mean some kind of timeout?

Thanks.
--
islue

Re: [users@httpd] what does 0 mean of serving time

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Hu Hailin <i...@h2l.name> wrote:
> the os of my box is CentOS 5.3 and httpd is the built-in one.
>
>> it may mean that the requests didn't take long to server AND the clock
>> is not high resolution
>
> I thought so as well, but about 90% of the requests are around
> 10_000-100_000µs. Meanwhile 0µs requests are about 5%.
> It's hard to believe that is a resolution issue.
> Also the rate of 0µs request goes up with server's load going up, not
> a good sign, I guess.
>
> Arrrr, it might be something like the requests under 1000µs goes to
> 0µs into log file by chance?

no idea what you are encountering

I just tried %D with built-in httpd on CentOS 5.4 on VMWare on Windows
7 and saw requests in the 3-400 microsecond range, seemingly with
microsecond resolution.

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Hu Hailin <i...@h2l.name> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats
>>>
>>> I'm using %D to log the time taken to serve requests.
>>> I found the time might be 0 in nonspecific requests. The rate of 0
>>> serving time goes the same trend with server load.
>>>
>>> Does it mean some kind of timeout?
>>
>> no
>>
>> it may mean that the requests didn't take long to server AND the clock
>> is not high resolution
>>
>> is this Windows?  if I understand correctly, expensive (in CPU)
>> mechanisms are required to get good resolution on Windows

> islue

Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: [users@httpd] what does 0 mean of serving time

Posted by Hu Hailin <i...@h2l.name>.