Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by John Fawcett <jo...@michaweb.net> on 2004/04/18 14:29:56 UTC

update on unparsed url types

This is an update from yesterday's post on urls which are not
currently being parsed by sa in version 2.63

Further cases:

6. msn redirection services g.msn.com

workaround for PerMsgStatus.pm
    $uri =~ s/^http:\/\/g.msn.com\/[^\*]+\?http\:(.*)$/http\:$1/g;

7. use of html escape sequences in the url
http:&#047;&#047;&#116;&#111;&#102;&#111;&#114;&#109;&#046;&#110;&#101;&#116;&#047;&#109;&#099;&#112;&#047;879/1352/cap112&#046;&#104;&#116;&#109;&#108;
To translate these into the equivalent ascii characters,
I have used HTML::entities rather than reinvent the wheel

workaround for PerMsgStatus.pm
    use HTML::Entities;
    $uri = HTML::Entities::decode($uri);

Here is a cumulative diff containing the workarounds for these
and the previous cases. The diff is against PerMsgStatus.pm
2.63 already patched with SpamCopUri 0.09

Hopefully someone can include these
in version 3 and more elegantly....

diff PerMsgStatus.pm.orig PerMsgStatus.pm
----cut-------
45a47
> use HTML::Entities;
1777a1780,1789
----cut-------

Getting redirection services to block spammers

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.
Ok- once we positively detect and identify that a redirection was used
for spam - like we have it listed and it scores 30 or so - we could
generate an email automatically reporting it to their spam abuse address.

Let's say if for example Yahoo were serious about this - they couls set
to a process to autodisable these urls after a specific number of
reports. I would doubt that if Yahoo received hundreds of autogenerated
complaints within a short period of time that they knew was generated by
Spam Assassin and was triggered by a redirection on their service to a
spam address - that they could automatically disable the redirect.

If they did that then the spammer would be denied a profit.

I think this would work and redirect services would cooperate with it.

Re: update on unparsed url types

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by John Fawcett <jo...@michaweb.net>.
Posted by Matthew Cline <ma...@nightrealms.com>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 02:29:56PM +0200, John Fawcett wrote:
> 6. msn redirection services g.msn.com

I'd rather have generic redirection handling.  Something like:

$uri =~ m@^https?://.+(https?://.+)$@$1@;

anybody can start a redirection service, I don't want to have code for
each one individually unless they're doing something wonky.

come to think of this: have spammers used things like tinyurl yet?

> 7. use of html escape sequences in the url
> http:&#047;&#047;&#116;&#111;&#102;&#111;&#114;&#109;&#046;&#110;&#101;&#116;&#047;&#109;&#099;&#112;&#047;879/1352/cap112&#046;&#104;&#116;&#109;&#108;
> To translate these into the equivalent ascii characters,
> I have used HTML::entities rather than reinvent the wheel

this was added a long time ago in 3.0, right after dealing with %## encodings. :)

and btw, we pretty much ignore any patches that don't come as an
attachment to bugzilla.  fyi.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"We all know engineers are way better than doctors because doctors can