Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2018/01/14 19:42:12 UTC

Github Documentation (Re: Apache Royale website is live!!)

Changing subject

About Github documentation, I think we should start migrating what we have
already at Apache Wiki in FlexJS.

For Example this:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS+Basic+components

Would be a great start

About the documentation tag, I see you already introduced a bug report,
Maybe others want to comment as well regarding this issue

thanks!

>> I am thinking about where to record and track tasks for future
>> documentation. I see that our project in GitHub has a "documentation" tag
>> with no active bug reports. Is that where I should enter, not just
>> documentation bug issues, but to-do stuff like "create a blog entry on
>> TOPIC X"? Or is there some other system for tracking stuff like that?
>>
>> --
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Github Documentation (Re: Apache Royale website is live!!)

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Carlos,

>But there's no such file, so my main question is, is royale-docs a Github
>pages repo so I can customize it with a Github Pages Theme?

From my understanding, any GitHub repo is able to process/provide GitHub
pages.

>Add the following to your site's _config.yml:

IIRIC, GitHub pages uses Jekyll as default static site generator.
This _config.yml is a Jekyll file [1].

I guess we have to setup our repo at first in order to use one of those
(Jekyll?) templates [2][3][4].

Of yourse, I could be wrong.

I would help with this, but after I took some time in order to test the
release approval stuff I'd like to continue with the TryItNow app at first
;-)

Thanks,
Olaf

[1] https://jekyllrb.com/docs/configuration/
[2] https://help.github.com/categories/customizing-github-pages/
[3]
https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-jekyll-theme-to-your-github-pages-site-with-the-jekyll-theme-chooser/
[4]
https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-a-publishing-source-for-github-pages/

--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: Github Documentation (Re: Apache Royale website is live!!)

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Piotr,

>I don't think we need Wiki on the docs repository.
I agree that we should start directly with GH pages.

>We just need to correct all the things which you have on your repo
It is not so much content at the end.
I guess we have to rewrite it anyway, so don't care about it ;-)

>It is less pleasent write mark down only without preview. - If there is
some tool...
https://github.com/planetjekyll/awesome-jekyll-editors

Thanks,
Olaf

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
We decided a while back to use GH Pages instead of a wiki for our
user-facing documentation.  Royale is part of the Apache organization on
GH, so there might be more restrictions on what we can and can't do.

AIUI, it is all HTML and CSS in the end.  I'm not opposed to switching to
using Jekyll and MarkDown as long as we can add regular HTML files, as
well as other CSS and JS files which might be generated by Royale to the
GH Pages web site.

Thanks,
-Alex

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi Carlos,

https://help.github.com/articles/customizing-css-and-html-in-your-jekyll-theme/

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Cayman is a Github official theme. So I suppose is totally right to use it
as an starting point.
But in the end: We don't want to use Cayman!, we want to create a theme
that has our branding (fonts, colors and some image backgrounds)

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Carlos,

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Github Documentation (Re: Apache Royale website is live!!)

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I created my own test repo, and is very easy.

https://github.com/carlosrovira/royale-pages-test/blob/master/README.md
https://carlosrovira.github.io/royale-pages-test/

So we need for infra to config the Github repo. I think we should have
control over this in order to modify to our needs and not having to bother
anyone for something so easy

In the other hand, I applied the theme with the theme chooser, I need to

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Olaf,

Ad. 1) I personally don't want wiki for documentation. That is only the
proposition to use wiki on your repository in order to simplify things and
investigate whether we can transform it to the GitHub pages. Do you know
the way how to do this ?

Ad. 2) I think Carlos need help with run even simple Hello World using
Jekyll on our royale-docs. If someone can help with that it would be great.

Thanks, Piotr

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

I think that's the trick. If you put all the things into file with
extension *.md in theory there are special engines who turns into github
pages.

I see that Carlos have problem with launching it.

Maybe we should proceed differently.
1) Make changes and new things on Olaf's github Wiki - you have there
previews etc.
2) Explore possibility to automatically convert each wiki page to *.md files
3) Try to run github pages.

Thoughts?
Thanks, Piotr

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Andrew Wetmore wrote
> Royale will need a branded knowledge base. Will that be integrated in the
> website, or a wiki hosted on github or somewhere else?

I am not sure if there's already an idea or decision about it.
My opinion is, to move stuff from the FlexJS wiki to the GitHub
asjs/compiler repo wikis using Markdown
would be a good idea.
This way we could easily reuse the articles if we'll go with a static site
generator in order to provide the documentation.

Just my 2 cents,
Olaf

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.