Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Jean-Philippe Caruana <jp...@target2sell.com> on 2015/04/03 16:59:18 UTC

buildr very slow on my jenkins

Hi,

I have installed buildr on my jenkins server, but it is very very slow,
even to display its version. So the build is at least twice as long as
on my local machine. Server is pretty recent. I use the same kind in
production for a lot of stuff, but when I am using it to run buildr, it
is slow.

On my jenkins server:

$ time buildr --version
Buildr 1.4.21

real    0m1.275s
user    0m1.111s
sys     0m0.152s

$ time java -version
java version "1.8.0_40"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

real    0m0.222s
user    0m0.215s
sys     0m0.020s

On my dev box :
$  time buildr --version
Buildr 1.4.21

real    0m0.268s
user    0m0.180s
sys     0m0.033s

$ time java -version
java version "1.8.0_40"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

real    0m0.071s
user    0m0.029s
sys     0m0.028s

What's wrong ?

--
Jean-Philippe Caruana
http://www.barreverte.fr

Re: buildr very slow on my jenkins

Posted by Jean-Philippe Caruana <jp...@target2sell.com>.
Hi,

I forgot to give details about buildr install on this server : it is an
Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and ruby comes from standard apt install :

$ ruby --version
ruby 1.9.3p484 (2013-11-22 revision 43786) [x86_64-linux]

Then I installed buildr with gem:
sudo JAVA_HOME=... gem install buildr

I installed ruby/gem/buildr in the same fashion on my dev box (via
ansible) and it is much faster.
I don't use rvm, or rbenv or jruby. I don't use gemfiles/bundler either
: once buildr is installed on a server, I expect it to be available for
all my jenkins goals.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
Hi,

--