Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rizwan Merchant <ri...@sysconet.ca> on 2006/05/11 19:01:15 UTC

More virtual hosting problems!!

Hi all!

I have been following the mailing list and it seems this is a common
problem amongst many users. But I could not find a solution to my
problem, hence this post. Hope someone can help me.

I am trying to set up a simple virtual host for the domain www.riz.com
on tomcat (listening on port 80) using the instructions provided at
http://ex-parrot.com/~pete/tomcat-vhost.html

Based on the instructions here is what I have done..

1.    Added the following to server.xml which is under under
$CATALINA_HOME/conf
        <Host name="www.riz.com" appBase="webapps/riz" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true"
      </Host>

    There is a riz.war file under $CATALINA_HOME/webapps that gets
expanded on deployment.

2. Created a directory $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/www.riz.com
    Added ROOT.xml to this directory which contains

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <Context displayName="riz" docBase="" path=""
    workDir="work/Catalina/riz/_">
    </Context>

Note that I have mapped www.riz.com to 127.0.0.1 in the "hosts" file
under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc so that when i type www.riz.com in
the browser it will resolve to localhost.

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong, or if I am missing
anything?

Thanks,
-Riz.

Re: More virtual hosting problems!!

Posted by Rizwan Merchant <ri...@sysconet.ca>.
I am running 5.5 as well.
Would the path to the ROOT.xml be $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/riz or
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/www.riz.com
(based on the OP)

The filename under conf/[Engine]/[host] should be ROOT.xml, right?

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
OK, then we're both correct.  The post I read had only the server.xml
fragment in it... or that's all I saw ;-)

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
In that case there would be no xml file as you have to put the context
element under the host element in the server.xml.

There is only two ways I know to define the default application
(www.eshipper.com/):
Use ROOT.war as the package name. (Or manually deploy it to a folder called
ROOT and use ROOT.xml.)
Set the path to "" in the server.xml.

      <Host name="www.riz.com" appBase="rizapps" unpackWARs="true"
 autoDeploy="true"  workDir="work/Catalina/riz">

       <Context displayName="defaultApp" docBase="yourChoice" path=""
    </Context>
      </Host>

Whatever application that is in the yourChoice folder will serve as the
default app.

I am not sure and it would be neat to know if you could point the docBase to
another app that could be deployed and undeployed as normal.

So say you point it to rizbase and then deploy an application of
rizbase.war. Would it then point to the app as the default? Would
www.eshipper.com/ and www.eshipper.com/rizbase give you the same app?

Someone else on the list may have more info on this one.

I guess it is possible to not have a default app. Is there any reason you
don't want to name the file ROOT.war? Only the file name needs to be set to
ROOT and thus the folder created will be ROOT.

Hope I didn't confuse you too bad.

Doug

Posted by Rizwan Merchant <ri...@sysconet.ca>.

Posted by Rizwan Merchant <ri...@sysconet.ca>.