Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/10/21 15:27:15 UTC

sandbox 'article'

I was rambling through the sandbox and wrote up some notes. I'd like to
post the url to the users list, but first wanted to see if anyone on the
dev list had any views on it:

http://www.generationjava.com/article/apache/StateOfTheSandbox.shtml

Most importantly I need suggestions on whether projects are in the wrong
category, or I have facts/names wrong.

Hen

Re: [docs] ready to attempt an update

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Dirk Verbeeck wrote:

> > So, just to verify that jakarta-commons/BUILD_DOCS.txt is still honest...
> >
> > I should:
> > - commit my updates to jakarta-commons/docs
> > - login to cvs.apache.org
> > - cd to /www/jakarta.apache.org/commons/
> > - execute 'cvs update'
> >
> > Does this look correct?

Make sure you commit your xdoc changes too at the same time you commit
docs.

Technically you should log in to jakarta.apache.org or www.apache.org, but
they're the same now, so that's nit-picking :)

Also, do

cvs -n update before you execute cvs update and make sure you're happy
with that happening.

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
looks fine to me
Dirk

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, __matthewHawthorne wrote:

> I definitely don't think that [io] is ready for promotion, but I hope to
> get it there soon.  I deployed the maven site last night and updated the

Yeah, that's definitely a 'my opinion' one :) There's a lot of good code
in there, it just needs management etc. I'll drop it down to LIVE.

> links to point to the new site instead of viewcvs, but I'm a little
> timid to rebuild the entire commons site with the updates.

Let me know if you want help on this.

> There is a 'compress' package in [io] that has been flagged for removal,
> would it make sense to combine it with [bzip2]?

Tar, bzip2 and zip are all in there. The tar is an ant-modified version of
the public domain ICE library. Really ought to figure out the
modifications if any and submit them back to ICE and kill this code.

Need to check if the bzip2 stuff is the same. Then take the zip package
and put it with bzip2 under a new name of 'compress' or something. Another
option would be codec. I seem to recall we've never quite figured out what
to do with the compress stuff.

Hen

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
I think its a great article...  I've always wondered what some of those
sandbox projects are about.

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Serge Knystautas wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > I was rambling through the sandbox and wrote up some notes. I'd like to
> > post the url to the users list, but first wanted to see if anyone on the
> > dev list had any views on it:
> >
> > http://www.generationjava.com/article/apache/StateOfTheSandbox.shtml
> >
> > Most importantly I need suggestions on whether projects are in the wrong
> > category, or I have facts/names wrong.
>
> Great stuff!
>
> What would it take to get threadpool promoted?  I'd be willing to
> support it.  Anyone else?

The usual. Make sure it's cleaned up, make sure it has a site, get it
passed a vote for promotion, get it passed a vote for a release, cut a
release.

> Also, I'd like to get JRCS mentioned on the sandbox page.  I think I
> just have to edit jakarta-commons/xdocs/sandbox.xml and generate
> accordingly, right?  Once Juan has his other project setup, I'll update
> to point to that project as well.

Is it worth doing this if Juan is taking it to Codehaus?

Hen

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Hm, the problem with graph2 is that the important interfaces
aren't documented or demonstrated by comprehensble examples.
They use some tricks which should be explained in some sort
of design documents before the code could be unleashed onto
unsuspecting users.
I also suspect that generic graph code has always to fight with
the problem that has to parallel data structures containing the
real user data, and that DFS is pretty easy to code, especially
if some knowledge about the data can be hold up.

Well if someone would bother to add reading and writing GML
and adding graph layout, that would be a killer...

J.Pietschmann

[cache] Cache status (was Re: sandbox 'article')

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> I have not reviewed or (obviously) committed them, although I've made no
> other changes to cache either, so your diffs should be as good as they
> ever were.
>
> Unfortunately I don't really have time to commit to sheparding patches to
> the cache stuff in the jakarta-commons-sandbox.  If you're a Jakarta or
> Apache committer, feel free to work with the stuff directly.  Otherwise,
> unless another existing committer wants to pick up this cause, my
> suggestion would be to move/fork this code to another location and look
> toward moving it back when there is a more active community.
>
> You might also try googling for similiar open source cache projects.  I
> believe there are others.  The sandboxed cache stuff is perfectly
> functional in my experience (I still use it every day in production apps),
> but clearly isn't backed by a very strong community.  You could probably
> find other projects with as much functionality and a stronger community,
> or alternatively, build your own such community from the existing
> codebase, assuming you adhere to the ASF license in doing so.

I suspect that one reason that a community hasn't sprouted around this
package is that there's really no indication of what it is, unless you
start digging around in the code itself. The link from the web site takes
you to viewcvs, and the README file tells you how to build it, but not
what it is, or why someone might want to use it.

I'm not personally interested in this component, but I suspect that if it
was given just a little TLC, it might have a much better chance of getting
off the ground here in the sandbox, if that's what people want to see.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Lavandowska <fl...@yahoo.com>.
Rod,

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Doh, sorry. Got confused between promotion and release :) Will remove.

Hen

Re: sandbox 'article'

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Martin Cooper wrote:

> I would suggest moving 'services' from Live to either Coma or Dead. It
> originally came out of Struts, but Struts no longer uses it, and the code
> hasn't been touched for about a year and a half.

It's in Dead now.

> I'm not sure where 'scaffold' should be. That's Ted Husted's baby, but it
> looks like it hasn't seen development in almost a year. Not sure if that
> qualifies as Live. ;-)

I'll push it down to Coma.

Thanks,

Hen

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Cool. Updated with:

<dt>grant</dt>

<dd>A series of hacks to Ant to allow for better classpath/property
resolution control. Created and used by Maven, dIon Gillard suspects that
later Ant releases make it unnecessary. </dd>

:)

Thanks

Hen

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> grant
> A series of hacks to Ant to allow for better classpath/property resolution
> control. I suspect this was created as a part of Maven, but abandoned when
> Maven moved to Jelly. [confirm?]
>
> Deny.
>
> Maven still uses this. I suspect however that it doesn't need to with
> later Ant releases, but noone has been bothered finding out yet :-)
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/dion/
> Pub Key:http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/dion/public-key.asc
>

> Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote on 22/10/2003 03:08:08 AM:
>
> > Very nice! Thanks for putting that together.
> >
> > I would suggest moving 'services' from Live to either Coma or Dead. It
> > originally came out of Struts, but Struts no longer uses it, and the
> code
> > hasn't been touched for about a year and a half.
> >
> > I'm not sure where 'scaffold' should be. That's Ted Husted's baby, but
> it
> > looks like it hasn't seen development in almost a year. Not sure if that
> > qualifies as Live. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Martin Cooper
> >

> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > >
> > > I was rambling through the sandbox and wrote up some notes. I'd like
> > > post the url to the users list, but first wanted to see if anyone on
> the
> > > dev list had any views on it:
> > >
> > > http://www.generationjava.com/article/apache/StateOfTheSandbox.shtml
> > >
> > > Most importantly I need suggestions on whether projects are in the
> wrong
> > > category, or I have facts/names wrong.
> > >
> > > Hen

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
grant

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.
> Added to a category of 'development fork'.
>
> I think it's fine to use sandbox for this. The other option would be to
> create a cvs branch in the proper cvs.

True.  I had this in place originally but thought there
would be a lower barrier to entry by going via the
sandbox.

-John K

RE: sandbox 'article'

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> John,  I don't think anyone would be disturbed or offended if you did
> all of your CLI development work in HEAD in /jakarta-commons/cli.  It
> actually might be less confusing to people looking to contribute.

He could easily create a branch for either the old version (to allow
patching), or the new development branch.

The only reason for doing CLI 2 in the sandbox appears to be that he as a
colleague who does not have Committer access to Commons.

	--- Noel

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
John,  I don't think anyone would be disturbed or offended if you did
all of your CLI development work in HEAD in /jakarta-commons/cli.  It
actually might be less confusing to people looking to contribute.  In
other words, once a project is promoted, keep the development in Commons
proper.

I'm only making this suggestion because rolling things back over to
sandbox, and then copying version over to commons proper complicates CVS
history - and, the assumption is that every release will get a branch.

Tim

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: sandbox 'article'

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.

RE: sandbox 'article'

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
I think HiveMind is edging towards the "ready for promotion" category.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components