Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/25 02:36:52 UTC

When ASF files run away from home

I've recently been toiling in the vineyards of the cobertura maven
plugin, which lives at codehaus. I've seen:

a) files that seem to be original there but had the ASF version of the
AL notice put on them. Apparently, someone was a little
overenthusiastic.

b) files with a notice of the form 'Copyright (c) someyear, Apache
Software Foundation' followed by the license. I haven't looked really
hard yet to see if those files are copies of ASF project files. Even
so, that notice makes no sense to me at all. Has the ASF ever
recommended such a thing for any purpose.

I wonder if it would be a good thing for the web site to carry some
concrete examples of how to comply with the license when copying (and
modifying) ASF files?

Re: When ASF files run away from home

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On b), yes. That's how it used to look up until a foundation wide
header change.

For example:

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_2_1/src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/ArrayUtils.java

Hen