Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bryan Hunt <ad...@revoltingdigits.com> on 2004/08/01 21:57:05 UTC

POSSIBLE OT: localised hashtable custom tag question

Ok here's the scenario ....

My (opensource) application is going to be available in the users
language.

All my struts localisation stuff is working fine, all the labels and
stuff are stored in property files etc.

I am using hibernate for persistance.

JSTL does not allow you to call functions on objects.

It only allows you to access the properties of beans. ie you cannot
do ${object.getDesctription("fr")}

One of my hibernate POJO's house has got a hash of descriptions inside it.

The descriptions are going to be referenced by java.util.Locale objects

The reason is so that the description of the house itself is going to be
localised.

So what I want to do is either create or use a tag which will allow me
to do the
following.

<c:set var="forsale" value="${FOR_SALE_PROPERTY}"/>

<blah:localizeddesc value="${forsale.shortDescriptions}/>

or

<blah:localizeddesc value="${forsale.shortDescriptions}
default="${DEFAULT_LOCALE}"/>

The tag will then access the struts session and see what Locale the
person is
using.

If there is a description that matches that locale it will be outputted ,
if not the description matching the default locale will be used.

Perhaps I am looking in completely the wrong direction.

If I am being stupid here please feel free to alert me

I've been trying to decide the best approach for about 2 weeks.

I don't really think this belongs in the DAO or hibernate layers
as it is kinda a presentation issue.

Is anyone else working with something similar ? Or do I have to
build up a tag lib from scratch ?

Thanks

Bryan