Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Fury <ma...@what-the.net> on 2003/03/05 22:36:47 UTC

Tomcat w/ Apache integration question

Hi all!

I am a bit confused and forgive me if I am not seeing
things straight.

When I integrate Apache with Tomcat and have workers
forward JSP pages, does this mean all JSP will be
served by Tomcat INCLUDING the HTML in the page? Or
will the images, and html layout be served by Apache
and Tomcat will take care of the code inside?

99% of my website is JSP/Servlet/Tags but the pages
consist of a lot of images to load. Would it be
beneficial for me to integrate Apache? Otherwise I
would consider using Apache for just images and create
an image server or something.

-Matt

Re: Tomcat w/ Apache integration question

Posted by Michael Micek <mm...@micek.csz.com>.
Someone may want to correct me on this...

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:00:28AM -0800, Matt Fury wrote:
> Do I need to specify "http://servername" before each
> image to explicitly tell Apache to load the images in
> a JSP?

No.

> --- Matt Fury <ma...@what-the.net> wrote:
> > I am a bit confused and forgive me if I am not seeing
> > things straight.

Yes.

> > When I integrate Apache with Tomcat and have workers
> > forward JSP pages,

No.  Apache forwards the request to Tomcat (if using mod_jk,
Apache decides by what's specified JkMount directive), and
one of the workers sends back the HTML generated from the
JSP.  (Notionally.  Actually the JSP is first translated to
a Java servlet, which is compiled, and it's the servlet that
sends HTML.)

> > does this mean all JSP will be
> > served by Tomcat INCLUDING the HTML in the page?

Yes, except that the above.  Sort of.  HTML is JSP; that's
part of the point.

> > Or
> > will the images, and html layout be served by Apache
> > and Tomcat will take care of the code inside?

Apache will serve everything, but .jsp pages (which, of
course, may happen to contain mostly HTML, or not) will be
processed by Tomcat first to produce straight HTML that
Apache will send back to the browser.

> > 99% of my website is JSP/Servlet/Tags but the pages
> > consist of a lot of images to load. Would it be
> > beneficial for me to integrate Apache?

I would think so.

> > Otherwise I
> > would consider using Apache for just images and
> > create
> > an image server or something.

No, that's not necessary... even if it were, most likely
you'd still have Apache and Tomcat integrated, they'd just
be on separate machines.

Re: Tomcat w/ Apache integration question

Posted by Matt Fury <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Another question: