Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/24 21:53:44 UTC

Testimonials page for SVN website

I'd like to showcase testimonials on the website (with the permission
of those who provide them, of course), in a new page called something
like Subversion Success Stories or maybe just Testimonials. The title
isn't important right now. The important point is that we are trusted
by commercial and government customers and are a component in various
commercial products, and I would like to let the world know that.

Is there any legitimate, substantial reason why we should not have
such a page?

Thanks,
Nathan

Re: Testimonials page for SVN website

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 4:52 PM Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My question is: Does the community *want* (or at least, is the
> community *neutral* about) having a "testimonials" / "success stories"
> / "who is using us" type of page?

Yes, absolutely!

> [1]:
>
> ASF projects with testimonials:
>
> https://beam.apache.org
> http://bloodhound.apache.org (Tweets)
> http://buildr.apache.org ("Why Buildr Rocks")
> https://camel.apache.org/community/user-stories/
> http://cassandra.apache.org ("Proven")
> https://cayenne.apache.org/success-stories.html
> http://cloudstack.apache.org ("What are people saying?")
> https://couchdb.apache.org
> http://directory.apache.org
> http://drill.apache.org/poweredBy/
> https://ofbiz.apache.org
> http://opennlp.apache.org/powered-by-opennlp.html (Air New Zealand testimonial)
> http://parquet.apache.org/adopters/
> http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/index.html
> http://phoenix.apache.org/who_is_using.html
> http://pivot.apache.org (Actian Corporation testimonial)
> http://poi.apache.org/casestudies.html ("Case Studies")
> http://river.apache.org/user-doc/success-stories.html
> http://samza.apache.org/case-studies/ ("Case Studies")
>
> Also, ASF projects with a "Who is using us" page (including commercial
> customers):
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Powered+By+Bigtop
> http://cocoon.apache.org/1365_1_1.html ("Who uses Cocoon?")
> https://cordova.apache.org ("Cordova apps showcase")
> http://druid.apache.org/druid-powered
> http://dubbo.apache.org/en-us/ ("Who is using Dubbo")
> http://eagle.apache.org
> http://flex.apache.org/community-showcase.html
> https://flink.apache.org/poweredby.html
> https://freemarker.apache.org/poweredBy.html
> http://griffin.apache.org
> http://groovy-lang.org/ecosystem.html
> http://jclouds.apache.org
> http://kafka.apache.org/powered-by
> http://karaf.apache.org/stories.html
> http://kylin.apache.org
> http://libcloud.apache.org
> http://oodt.apache.org
> http://openmeetings.apache.org/OurUsers.html
> http://apr.apache.org/projects.html
> http://pulsar.apache.org/powered-by/
> http://shiro.apache.org
> http://skywalking.apache.org (and
> https://github.com/apache/skywalking/blob/master/docs/powered-by.md)
> http://spark.apache.org/powered-by.html
> http://trafficserver.apache.org/users.html
> http://turbine.apache.org/common/powered.html
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/UIMA/Powered+by+Apache+UIMA
> http://usergrid.apache.org/community/#deployments
> http://wicket.apache.org
>
> Yes, I have been studying all the ASF project websites. :-)

Wow, I bow to your dedication :-).
Thanks for taking this on!

--
Johan

Re: Testimonials page for SVN website

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Nathan Hartman wrote:
> My question is: Does the community *want* [this] type of page?
> I would like to do it, [...]

Absolutely!  It's pretty standard for any product that pays any
attention at all to "marketing" in the general sense, and I am confident
it would have positive value.  If you have the will and the means,
please do.

Remember to give some thought to transparency (fairness) and
maintenance, and keep it simple.

- Julian

Re: Testimonials page for SVN website

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 4:58 PM Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Nathan Hartman wrote on Fri, 24 Jan 2020 16:53 -0500:
> > I'd like to showcase testimonials on the website (with the permission
> > of those who provide them, of course), in a new page called something
> > like Subversion Success Stories or maybe just Testimonials. The title
> > isn't important right now. The important point is that we are trusted
> > by commercial and government customers and are a component in various
> > commercial products, and I would like to let the world know that.
> >
> > Is there any legitimate, substantial reason why we should not have
> > such a page?
>
> The ASF's non-profit / 501(c)3 status requires that it be
> vendor-neutral, so we'll want to have documented criteria for who is
> allowed to be added to the page, and add anyone who meets them.

Regarding ASF requirements, before I do anything, I will find out what
requirements we must meet. I am pretty sure we're allowed to do it
[1].

My question is: Does the community *want* (or at least, is the
community *neutral* about) having a "testimonials" / "success stories"
/ "who is using us" type of page? I would like to do it, as part of a
much larger work I'm doing in staging-ng.

First, with permission, quoth danielsh in a private conversation, who
wanted to discuss this point on dev@:
> It might make us look more corporatey, though?  I.e., a page of
> testimonials, that lists features but not known missing features)?

My reply to that: Who can sponsor development?

I want to appeal to corporatey users *and* to geeks like us. Yes,
there's a fine balance here. We will be abundantly clear that we are a
100% open community-driven project. A testimonials/success stories
page is a great place to ask for more community involvement in the
development process.

[...]

P.S., incidentally, I think we should also have an "Integrations"
page. We do (and can) integrate with a lot of stuff out there.

Re: Testimonials page for SVN website

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Nathan Hartman wrote on Fri, 24 Jan 2020 16:53 -0500:
> I'd like to showcase testimonials on the website (with the permission
> of those who provide them, of course), in a new page called something
> like Subversion Success Stories or maybe just Testimonials. The title
> isn't important right now. The important point is that we are trusted
> by commercial and government customers and are a component in various
> commercial products, and I would like to let the world know that.
>
> Is there any legitimate, substantial reason why we should not have
> such a page?

The ASF's non-profit / 501(c)3 status requires that it be
vendor-neutral, so we'll want to have documented criteria for who is
allowed to be added to the page, and add anyone who meets them.

Cheers,

Daniel