Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Олег АндреичЪ <kj...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/06 05:54:40 UTC

Are "M" versions of Surefire plugin pre-release?

Hello

Are "M" versions of the Surefire plugin (like 3.0.0-M7) pre-release?

Should one use "M" versions or the latest version without "M" (2.22.2)?

Usually, I see "M" as a "Milestone," which is pre-release, but I want to be
sure this time.

Unfortunately, I haven't found info about my question in docs and mailing
list. In case there is a prior discussion about this, please point me to it.

Re: Are "M" versions of Surefire plugin pre-release?

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Those M version schemes are quite annoying, but the download site lists M7 as „current stable“ and since ASF projects are not supposed to provide pre-release archives anyway I would say go for  it. Especially if you need 3.x.x API/Format/Features.

However, the version Progression on this page suggests otherwise: https://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/history.html - maybe it should give an ETA or the number of upcoming milestones…

BTW the release notes link on the m-s-p subsite is broken.
BTW in maven numbing the -M qualifiers will sort before the unqualified 3.0.0 version.

Gruss
Bernd

--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net