Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> on 2011/07/18 03:05:01 UTC

what is called when - ajax version

In the past, I've found the "what is called when" example from the
jumpstart collection very useful, however there is no version for the
partial render or ajax case.

I'm trying to figure out if there is an event I can handle which is
called everytime a partial render or zone update is returned to the
client, or everytime an asych request is made.

Is there such a hook?

regards, Paul.

Re: what is called when - ajax version

Posted by Peter Stavrinides <P....@albourne.com>.
> However, there's still the possibility that
> these are useful ... except that all the use cases I can come up with
> are better served by a "perthread" scoped service, rather than
> associated with the page instance.
I am using them for a one time setup of tab groups (essentially linkedhashmaps) in pages, and I find it to be a good fit for my purposes... of course there are several workarounds so its not essential to use pageAttached / pageDetached. Never thought of of using a "perthread" scoped service though.

Regards,
Peter

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> wrote:
> pageAttached/pageDetatched are being obsoleyed in the future versions of tapestry.
> I would use setupRender instead.

If there are valid uses for pageAttached / pageDetached then they can
stay.  Some people do use them for things that should properly be done
inside the page's activate event handler, or inside a setupRender
render phase method.  However, there's still the possibility that
these are useful ... except that all the use cases I can come up with
are better served by a "perthread" scoped service, rather than
associated with the page instance.

> On Aug 9, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Geoff,
>>
>> Thanks again, you are always helpful!
>>
>> Looks like pageAttached/pageDetached is exactly what i need. Combined with isXHR, works fine.
>>
>> I hadn't stumbled across this doc: http://tapestry.apache.org/page-life-cycle.html
>>
>> cheers, p.
>>
>> On 24/07/2011 10:37 PM, Geoff Callender wrote:
>>> Done - new example "AJAX: What is Called and When" added as:
>>>
>>>    http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/ajax/whatiscalledandwhen
>>>
>>> However, I don't know that it helps solve your problem, unless maybe you test request.isXHR() in pageAttached() and pageDetached()???
>>>
>>> Geoff

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210