Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sa Li <sa...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/08 20:08:32 UTC

kafka monitoring

Hello, All

I understand many of you are using jmxtrans along with graphite/ganglia to
pull out metrics, according to https://kafka.apache.org/081/ops.html,  it
says "The easiest way to see the available metrics to fire up jconsole and
point it at a running kafka client or server; this will all browsing all
metrics with JMX. .."

I tried to fire up a jconsole on windows attempting to access our dev and
production cluster which are running good,
here is the main node of my dev:
10.100.75.128, broker port:9092, zk port:2181

Jconsole shows:

 New Connection
Remote Process:

Username:            Password:

Sorry about my naive, I tried connect base on above ip just can't be
connected, do I need to do something in dev server to be able to make it
work?

thanks

--

Alec Li

Re: kafka monitoring

Posted by Rajasekar Elango <re...@salesforce.com>.
Hi Sa Li,

You need to set environment variable $JMX_PORT to enable jmx while starting
kafka.  See to kafka-run-class.sh on how it is used. Then you can connect
to <hostname>:<jmxport> using Jconsole.

Thanks,
Raja.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Sa Li <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, All
>
> I understand many of you are using jmxtrans along with graphite/ganglia to
> pull out metrics, according to https://kafka.apache.org/081/ops.html,  it
> says "The easiest way to see the available metrics to fire up jconsole and
> point it at a running kafka client or server; this will all browsing all
> metrics with JMX. .."
>
> I tried to fire up a jconsole on windows attempting to access our dev and
> production cluster which are running good,
> here is the main node of my dev:
> 10.100.75.128, broker port:9092, zk port:2181
>
> Jconsole shows:
>
>  New Connection
> Remote Process:

> Username:            Password:
>
> Sorry about my naive, I tried connect base on above ip just can't be
> connected, do I need to do something in dev server to be able to make it
> work?
>
> thanks
>
> --
>
> Alec Li

Raja.

Re: kafka monitoring

Posted by Vladimir Tretyakov <vl...@sematext.com>.
Hi Sa Li,

For the monitoring piece there is SPM - see
*http://blog.sematext.com/2015/02/10/kafka-0-8-2-monitoring/
<http://blog.sematext.com/2015/02/10/kafka-0-8-2-monitoring/>*.
Demo https://apps.sematext.com/demo (just select 'SPM.Prod.Kafka' system
after you login as DEMO user)
 It will monitor your ZooKeeper, too.  Kafka uses ZK, so you may want
keep an eye on it as well.

Re: kafka monitoring

Posted by Sa Li <sa...@gmail.com>.

--

Alec Li

Re: kafka monitoring

Posted by Sa Li <sa...@gmail.com>.

--

Alec Li

RE: kafka monitoring

Re: kafka monitoring

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
You need to export the JMX_PORT for kafka to use on startup before starting
up

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly

Re: kafka monitoring

Posted by Manikumar Reddy <ku...@nmsworks.co.in>.
Hi,
  you need to set jmx remote port.

  you can set this by executing below line in terminal  and start server.
  (or) add below line to kafka-run-class.sh and start server.

  export JMX_PORT=9999 (jmx remote port)

and connect jconsole by giving  brokerip:9999