Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de> on 2005/07/01 10:40:38 UTC

s5 output plugin enhancements

Hi!

Since I'm going to present about Forrest, why not
do it in Forrest itself? So, I had a look at the
s5 slides output plugin.

The documentation is buggy, and some things in the
plugin don't work. I started playing around with
the xsl and css files but before I'm going to change
anything substantial I would like to know if anybody
else is using this plugin and if there are specific
requirements.   E.g. presenters at ApacheCon?!

Some questions I have that I still don't know
how to resolve
* Images simply don't show up, might be due to
  the s5slides/ additional "directory"
* Also the background image won't show

Then there is (again?!) the question how to
make this plugin configurable, colors etc.
without messing around directly with the CSS.

Cheers
Johannes

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Re: s5 output plugin enhancements

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Since I'm going to present about Forrest, why not
>> do it in Forrest itself? So, I had a look at the
>> s5 slides output plugin.

> Yes, we are using it for ApacheCon. Ive made quite a few enhancements
> and fixes but not ound the time to release. I'll upload the new plugin
> now. Download it in 10-15 mins from the time of this mail.

I uploaded now. One more thing to realise, it does not work properly in
a static site, some of the JS files are not copied across. It works fine
if you run dynamically, or if you manually copy the JS files.

See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-341

Ross

Re: s5 output plugin enhancements

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Ross Gardler schrieb:
<snip/>

>> BTW: nice skin! unfortunately I can't use it :-(
>

> Why not?

Corporate Design.
js

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
Hello!

I created a new issue to share my changes.

We sure will have to discuss some of them.
I'm still having more things I want to do (time
permitting), e.g. adding (better) handout support.

Please experiment and comment!

Johannes

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Ross Gardler schrieb:
>
>>Johannes Schaefer wrote:

>>>I'll have a look ... will it show up in svn or
>>>as an update to the official plugin?
>

> Is it on purpose that I need to have a s5slides/ folder
> next to the XML source with ui/ and images/ inside?!
> Or am I missing something?

I don't have the time to check in detail right now, but I suspect this
is not on purpose. I think what is happening is this:

The plugin uses the s5sliddes/** URL to identify when something is to be
displayed as a slide (this is bad design I know, it will change to
something like **.s5.html in the future).

As a result if a URL is relative it will become "s5slides/**" which is
not correct.

What needs to be done (and is already done for some image types I think)
is a new pipeline match in resources.xmap (in the plugin) that redirects
the path. Again, this is bad design, and is the kind of use case that I
have been working on the locationmap for.

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johannes Schaefer <jo...@uidesign.de>.
Ross Gardler schrieb:
> Johannes Schaefer wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Since I'm going to present about Forrest, why not
>> do it in Forrest itself? So, I had a look at the
>> s5 slides output plugin.
>>
>> The documentation is buggy, and some things in the
>> plugin don't work. I started playing around with
>> the xsl and css files but before I'm going to change
>> anything substantial I would like to know if anybody
>> else is using this plugin and if there are specific
>> requirements.   E.g. presenters at ApacheCon?!
>

> Yes, we are using it for ApacheCon. Ive made quite a few enhancements
> and fixes but not ound the time to release. I'll upload the new plugin
> now. Download it in 10-15 mins from the time of this mail.

I'll have a look ... will it show up in svn or
as an update to the official plugin?

>> Some questions I have that I still don't know
>> how to resolve
>> * Images simply don't show up, might be due to
>>   the s5slides/ additional "directory"
>

> They do in the zip I'm going to send you.
>
>> * Also the background image won't show
>

> Not played with this one. There are background images in ours too. I

found the place to put it (for now):
  s5slides/ui/bodybg.gif from where the XML file lives

But I'll see your changes first.

> suggest you ask Ferdinand to send you a copy of our Apachecon
> presentation. I don't want to send it without his permission as it is
> his content too, but you have mine now (please don'r reuse any content
> other than the s5 stuff, we have to assign copyright to ApacheCon).

Don't worry.

>> Then there is (again?!) the question how to
>> make this plugin configurable, colors etc.
>> without messing around directly with the CSS.
>

> With the S5 plugin you have no choice I'm afraid as the CSS is provided
> by s5 itself and I have not played with extending it yet. The zip I am
> going to send you has a totally different skin to the one in the
> download zip, and there are more skins to download from the s5 project
> site (linked from the plugins home page).

I saw them. Started to get some ornage into it
(see www.uidesign.de ;-)

Thanks for the fast response!
Johannes

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.