Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Christopher Dragert <ch...@mail.mcgill.ca> on 2010/06/16 21:33:17 UTC

[scxml] Rational Software Architect to SCXML plugin

I'm wondering if anyone on the mailing list has experience with the RSA plug-in.  I want to design my state-charts in RSA, export them as SCXML documents, them use them in a project built on commons SCXML.

Unfortunately, the RSA plugin is to be out-of-date (built on 2005 SCXML working draft), has trouble with executable content, and cannot handle custom actions.  Has anyone managed to get this working in a useful way for a commons SCXML project?  Is there anyone out there who can offer advice on how to use it?

If necessary, I would be willing to work on the plugin, but the source is not available.

Regards,

Chris Dragert
Ph.D. Candidate
McGill University
Montreal, Canada

Re: RE: [scxml] Rational Software Architect to SCXML plugin

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.
It is a good news for this project if you would like to join it. Yes,
you can check our this project's source code and build/run it, and you
can find a ppt instruction in xdocbook directory.

 In fact, i have ordered commons dev mail list, if you submit any
subjects there, i can find it. This project is a GSoC project and
Rahul Akolkar is my mentor, if you have any advises, you can discuss
it with us in mail list

--
Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

RE: [scxml] Rational Software Architect to SCXML plugin

I am developing Eclipsed based SCXML editor, and as you expect, it has SCXML
document export function. Unfortunately it was not finished yet, i am
improvind document export function, you can find source code here [1] and
have a trial of it, if you have any advises of it or want to improve it
together with me, please let me know. Any responses from you will help us to
improve this SCXML editor :-)

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/gsoc/2010/scxml-eclipse/trunk

2010/6/17 Christopher Dragert <ch...@mail.mcgill.ca>

> I'm wondering if anyone on the mailing list has experience with the RSA
> plug-in.  I want to design my state-charts in RSA, export them as SCXML
> documents, them use them in a project built on commons SCXML.
>
> Unfortunately, the RSA plugin is to be out-of-date (built on 2005 SCXML
> working draft), has trouble with executable content, and cannot handle
> custom actions.  Has anyone managed to get this working in a useful way for
> a commons SCXML project?  Is there anyone out there who can offer advice on
> how to use it?
>
> If necessary, I would be willing to work on the plugin, but the source is
> not available.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Dragert
> Ph.D. Candidate
> McGill University
> Montreal, Canada

Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: [scxml] Rational Software Architect to SCXML plugin

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

I am developing Eclipsed based SCXML editor, and as you expect, it has SCXML
document export function. Unfortunately it was not finished yet, i am
improvind document export function, you can find source code here [1] and
have a trial of it, if you have any advises of it or want to improve it
together with me, please let me know. Any responses from you will help us to
improve this SCXML editor :-)

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/gsoc/2010/scxml-eclipse/trunk

2010/6/17 Christopher Dragert <ch...@mail.mcgill.ca>

> I'm wondering if anyone on the mailing list has experience with the RSA
> plug-in.  I want to design my state-charts in RSA, export them as SCXML
> documents, them use them in a project built on commons SCXML.
>
> Unfortunately, the RSA plugin is to be out-of-date (built on 2005 SCXML
> working draft), has trouble with executable content, and cannot handle
> custom actions.  Has anyone managed to get this working in a useful way for
> a commons SCXML project?  Is there anyone out there who can offer advice on
> how to use it?
>
> If necessary, I would be willing to work on the plugin, but the source is
> not available.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Dragert
> Ph.D. Candidate
> McGill University
> Montreal, Canada

Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: [scxml] Rational Software Architect to SCXML plugin

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Christopher Dragert
<ch...@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone on the mailing list has experience with the RSA plug-in.  I want to design my state-charts in RSA, export them as SCXML documents, them use them in a project built on commons SCXML.
>
> Unfortunately, the RSA plugin is to be out-of-date (built on 2005 SCXML working draft), has trouble with executable content, and cannot handle custom actions.  Has anyone managed to get this working in a useful way for a commons SCXML project?  Is there anyone out there who can offer advice on how to use it?
>
> If necessary, I would be willing to work on the plugin, but the source is not available.

<snip/>

The RSA plugin is not maintained. There is currently work being done
to develop an updated Eclipse plugin (doesn't require RSA) that covers
executable content and some additional features.

If you are interested in trying it out, please email the dev list
since this is ongoing work.

-Rahul

Posted by Xun Long Gui <us...@gmail.com>.
And i have been working in IBM China Research Lab as a intern and have rich
RSA working experience, RSA is a powful Eclipse based IDE, but RSA is
business software, i do not think it is open source, so it is impossible to
find source code of RSA's SCXML plug-in, may be only IBMers can get it, but
they can only share it to open source too.

2010/6/17 Christopher Dragert <ch...@mail.mcgill.ca>

> I'm wondering if anyone on the mailing list has experience with the RSA
> plug-in.  I want to design my state-charts in RSA, export them as SCXML
> documents, them use them in a project built on commons SCXML.
>
> Unfortunately, the RSA plugin is to be out-of-date (built on 2005 SCXML
> working draft), has trouble with executable content, and cannot handle
> custom actions.  Has anyone managed to get this working in a useful way for
> a commons SCXML project?  Is there anyone out there who can offer advice on
> how to use it?
>
> If necessary, I would be willing to work on the plugin, but the source is
> not available.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Dragert
> Ph.D. Candidate
> McGill University
> Montreal, Canada

Best Regards

Gui Xun Long (桂训龙)

Re: [scxml] Rational Software Architect to SCXML plugin

Posted by Jacob Beard <jb...@cs.mcgill.ca>.
Hi Chris,

I don't know about the RSA plugin, but Xunlong Gui is currently
working on an Eclipse-based SCXML editor as part of this year's Google
Summer of Code[0]. He's on this list, and should be able to provide
you with more information on its current status, and his schedule.

Jake

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/commons/SCXML/GSoC2010EclipsePluginProposal