Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2002/05/06 23:40:06 UTC

Re[4]: file path problem

Hello Bharanidharan,

Ah, I didn't see that before.

You don't want to store your static files under WEB-INF.  That is
purely for servlets and other general classes and some config stuff
such as the web.xml that you don't want to have directly accessible
via the web.

You would put your html file one directory up from WEB-INF in your
"jetspeed" directory.  This is also where you would put .jsp files.

Also, you don't actually have to provide the /servlet/* mapping in
your own web.xml.  You will get that functionality already because it
is in Tomcat's default web.xml.  All you need to know is that it is
the functionality that it provides.

Now, keep in mind that nothing within WEB-INF will be accessible
without some sort of mapping.  We are using the default /servlet/
mapping that Tomcat provides.

So, when you see:

http://www.myhost.com/jetspeed/servlet/myservlet.NewLogin

The "/servlet" part of of that URL is virtual.  The mapping is
provided by the web server.  The request goes through an invoker
servlet that runs the requested servlet for you.  That is much different than going to your
html file which should be at...

http://www.myhost.com/jetspeed/templates/vm/navigations/html/loggedinportlet.html

Although, that assumes that you would move the root of "templates"
into the "jetspeed" directory rather than have it exist under the
WEB-INF directory.

As you can see, the server needs no mapping information for static
files other than knowing what directory or virtual directory
http://www.myhost.com/jetspeed/ points to.  After that, you just
follow the directory structure within the "jetspeed" directory to
determine the URL path to the static document.  This is not so with
servlets.  You can't just browse to a servlet at some physical path on
the disk.  You refer to servlets through servlet mappings.

BTW, if you created a directory called "servlet" to store static
files, you wouldn't be able to get to them because Tomcat would
intercept the pattern /servlet/ and try to map the named entity that
comes after that rather than serving the named entity directly from
that directory.

For instance, if you had:
/webapps/jetspeed/servlet/templates/vm/navigations/html/loggedinportlet.html

and tried to get to that page via:
http://www.myhost.com/jetspeed/servlet/templates/vm/navigations/html/loggedinportlet.html

Tomcat would report an http 404 error because it tries to find a
servlet to invoke named
"templates/vm/navigations/html/loggedinportlet.html" or with a
class name of "templates/vm/navigations/html/loggedinportlet.html"

Which brings to mind another trick.  You can name your servlet and get
there via the servlet-name rather than having to specify the whole
package + Servlet class name adding the following to your web.xml:

<servlet>
        <servlet-name>newlogin</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>myclasses.NewLogin</servlet-class>
</servlet>

Now you can get to your servlet via the class-name:

http://www.myhost.com/jetspeed/servlet/myservlet.NewLogin

or via the servlet-name:

http://www.myhost.com/jetspeed/servlet/newlogin

You can also, then, provide your own mapping for the servlet named
"newlogin" such as:

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>newlogin</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/login</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

which allows you to get to your servlet without having to go through
the default /servlet/ mapping like this:

http://www.myhost.com/jetspeed/login

notice that the "servlet-name" in "servlet" and "servlet-mapping" must
be *exactly* the same (case sensitive too).

Does that make more sense or did I just add to the confusion?

Jake

--
Best regards,