Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Shaun Grogan <sh...@plusinc.net> on 2004/08/17 19:50:20 UTC

Using spamassassin with a postfix server that filters mail for an Exchange server

My organizations current setup is a Postfix 2.x server that accepts
mail, checks several DNS-RBL's then passes the mail over to an Exchange
server inside the firewall.  Can spamassasin be used as well to decrease
the amount of spam that's handed to the exchange server?  If so would
someone point me to some documentation on how to achieve this?

Thanks,

Shaun Grogan

Re: URIDNSBL question

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 01:36:02PM -0500, Alex S Moore wrote:
> By having the option enabled in init.pre in your sysconfig directory
> (where your *.cf files are located).

FYI: it's enabled by default.  if you run with -D, you ought to see what
plugins are loaded, etc.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Well my mother was Irish...  and your father? ... wasn't ..." - The Ref

Re: URIDNSBL question

Posted by Alex S Moore <as...@edge.net>.
On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 13:30, Paul Diaguila wrote:
> Upgraded to SpamAssassin 3.0.0-rc1 today to take advantage of the SURBL
> feature, and after spending the afternoon looking for something so
> simple that I've overlooked, I'll ask....  how do I load the URIDNSBL
> plugin?

By having the option enabled in init.pre in your sysconfig directory
(where your *.cf files are located).

Alex

URIDNSBL question

Re: Using spamassassin with a postfix server that filters mail for an Exchange server

Posted by Frank Fattizzi <ff...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:50:20 -0400, Shaun Grogan <sh...@plusinc.net> wrote:
> My organizations current setup is a Postfix 2.x server that accepts
> mail, checks several DNS-RBL's then passes the mail over to an Exchange
> server inside the firewall.  Can spamassasin be used as well to decrease
> the amount of spam that's handed to the exchange server?  If so would
> someone point me to some documentation on how to achieve this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shaun Grogan

I have a similar setup. I used steps 1-9 from
http://www.geekly.com/entries/archives/00000155.htm to have mail
checked by SA.

To get the most out of SA, look into some of the add-on rulesets and
SURBL plugin.

--

Frank

Re: Using spamassassin with a postfix server that filters mail for an Exchange server

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
> My organizations current setup is a Postfix 2.x server that accepts
> mail, checks several DNS-RBL's then passes the mail over to an Exchange
> server inside the firewall.  Can spamassasin be used as well to decrease
> the amount of spam that's handed to the exchange server?  If so would
> someone point me to some documentation on how to achieve this?

There are lots of tutorial and guides available, but here are a few links:

http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200309/postfix-spamassassin.html
http://www.flakshack.com/anti-spam/
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/857/
http://www.geocities.com/scottlhenderson/spamfilter.html