Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Sam Jennings <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2014/01/25 04:45:58 UTC

crash p1 bug, data loss - openoffice

I have uncovered a bug in openoffice on windows 7, 64 pro
Openoffice 4.0.0

To reproduce this bug, make a table with 3 rows and 3 columns (maybe other numbers would work as well)

now merge the top row's cells
now select a column beneath that merged row, and delete it.

that should crash openoffice and lose all your data.

workaround?  nothing fast.

sorry, it's easier to mail your dev than painstakingly drudge your website for the bug database and try to get past whatever prescreening it undoubtedly has.  but great free software guys...but please fix that!  it's a priorty 1...crash & data loss.

Re: crash p1 bug, data loss - openoffice

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 28.01.2014 16:51, Sam Jennings wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> Sure you can.

Thx.
Thus I will continue the further communication on the mailing list -
this mail is already sent to the mailing list.

> I better clarify what I meant by "corrupted", though. The file would
> load, and it "worked".  However, it was in a state where the bug
> happened.  It doesn't happen automatically with a new file. Somehow
> this particular file made the crash happen.  So that is what I mean
> when I say it was "corrupted".  It obviously still loaded, etc.

I understand.
Do you still have such a document at hand?

Best regards, Oliver.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 25.01.2014 04:45, Sam Jennings wrote:

> I have uncovered a bug in openoffice on windows 7, 64 pro Openoffice
> 4.0.0
>
> To reproduce this bug, make a table with 3 rows and 3 columns (maybe
> other numbers would work as well)

Which document type did you use?
- text document OR
- presentation document OR
- ???

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

2014-01-27 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>

> Hi,
>

> On 27.01.2014 11:00, Guy Waterval wrote:
>
>> Hi Clarence,
>>
>> I reproduce your scenario.
>> No crash of AOO, but table deleted.
>> Windows 7, AOO 4.01
>>

> I can also confirm the observed behavior in Writer.
> I reproduced this behavior already in OOo 2.2.0 (released in March 2007).
>
> This 'delete column' behavior more or less reflects what would be deleted,
> if the user would select _all_ cells from a certain column.
> In the given sample - 3x3 table, all cells of the first row merged - this
> is the complete table.
>
> Please do not get me wrong here.
> I just want to state how the current 'delete column' behavior in Writer
> can be explained and that it is not a regression.

In this case, it's OK for me.
I never observed this case because I fix always the number of columns of a
table at the beginning, and formate the table and merge cells only at the
end, only when I'm sure that all is OK in the table. Doing so, I never
encountered any problem with the table functionality.
Thank your for your response.

A+
--
gw

Re: crash p1 bug, data loss - openoffice

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Clarence,