Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Wordit <wo...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/29 19:06:13 UTC

Mobile development: Uploading design docs from Android

Has anyone managed to upload their edited design docs from Android?
Here's what I found so far:

- nodejs: only an old experimental package for node 0.6 available. Too
outdated, not actively developed. No npm?

- Curl: couldn't find a curl binary at all. Would be the easiest
solution if wrapped as an apk, accessed from the terminal emulator.

- wget: found an old binary. Would require rooting device. Not sure it
can upload attachments.

- Various http request apps: problem is you can't upload design docs
this way because they are attachments. It should work for other
couchdb requests, so not bad for testing.

- Futon: Tried mobile Chrome with Android 4.1. Selected file did not
show in the dialog and nothing was uploaded. Futon would be a lot of
work to keep manually uploading anyway.

There are some nice code editors for tablet devices now. One editor,
DroidEdit, can even launch scripts. This would be great say with a
Python script for uploading single design docs. A full-blown couchapp
is not necessary for a bit of mobile development. It's fine to just
upload the single js/html/css files you are working on.

Any experience or solutions? Uploading a single design doc at a time
is all I would require.

Thanks,

Marcus

Re: Mobile development: Uploading design docs from Android

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

I have used Python4Android[1] and couchdb-python to work with Pythonic
ddocs on Android. It has couchdb-load/couchdb-dump tools to load/dump
documents between databases, so it could help in your case. Probably
couchapp tool will work, but I haven't try it.

Nothing could say about editors since doesn't like them on qwertyless devices.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/python-for-android

--