Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/07/08 03:08:31 UTC

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

yeah, I saw that -- the message scores 3.7 according to the report, well
under 5.  It's pretty reckless to lower the threshold enough to cause that
to hit as spam.

however, it'd be nice to get a copy with full headers so we could think
about whitelisting it ;)

- --j.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Kelson" <ke...@speed.net>

> Loren Wilton wrote:
> > You must not be referring to the La Palma in/near Los Angeles.
> > A number of us would be rather pleased to see it slide into the ocean.
>
> The only problem there is it would have to slide through several other
> cities...  ;-)

<drily>Can we choose the path it takes?</drily>

{^_-}

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> All we hope for is that a system is in place by the time half of
> LaPalma slides into the ocean.  If the predictions are correct, our
> gulf coast/florida real estate will need all new maps.  The
> Indonesian tsunami was a ripple in the bathtub in comparison
> according to some doomsayers.  Google for LaPalma.

You must not be referring to the La Palma in/near Los Angeles.
A number of us would be rather pleased to see it slide into the ocean.

        Loren

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Thursday 07 July 2005 22:16, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>According to the article, we should think about blacklisting the
>>>message. ;)
>>
>> And just exactly what would that accomplish?  And no, I'm not
>> asking that tongue in cheek.  How many might be able to get clear
>> if the message was delivered in a timely manner?
>
>*That* is what the article said -- "the problem arises if [SA] is
>installed straight out of the box, the messages are NOT considered
> spam".
>
>The article, not I, says it's a problem that the message isn't
> tagged as spam by default.  Personally, I think that the fact that
> the message isn't thought to be spam by SpamAssassin is a good
> thing.
>
>As to how many might be able to get clear... unfortunately I don't
>expect that email notifications (even if delivered immediately)
> would help a substantial number of people.  That's not to say it's
> not a worthwhile cause, I certainly think that it is a good idea no
> matter how many or few people it may potential help and I'm glad
> that SpamAssassin, by default, correctly marks the mail as wanted
> mail.

Well, considering that in any one 50 yard wide, 100 yard stretch of
the beachfront, there may be .1 computers receiving email in real
time, the problem is so far down in the noise as to be negligent.
Computers & email facilities tend to be installed/used at more
permanent locations than a beach bar/tent or chair & umbrella on the
sand.  That half a hundred meter seperation is probably as important
as anything else in being the barrier to getting the info to the
people that need it.

And of course we can waste countless electrons trying to come up with
a solution from halfway around the planet, but if it doesn't work
_there_, its of use only as discussion material to keep professional
conference committee members in supply of subject matter.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote on Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:16:57 -0400:

> *That* is what the article said -- "the problem arises if [SA] is
> installed straight out of the box, the messages are NOT considered spam".

and goes on
"But for anyone who locks down the spam filter, SpamAssassin categorizes
the e-mail as spam due to a combination of upper case text in a clear-cut
format forwarded by a hidden sender."

It's just bad English in the first sentence. I think they want to say that
it does *not* arise in the OOB setup. What they mean by "lockdown" is
beyond my imagination, though, it's too vague.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Gene Heskett" <ge...@verizon.net>

> On Thursday 07 July 2005 21:15, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> >Justin Mason wrote:
> >> however, it'd be nice to get a copy with full headers so we could
> >> think about whitelisting it ;)
> >>
> >> - --j.

> >According to the article, we should think about blacklisting the
> > message. ;)
> >
> And just exactly what would that accomplish?  And no, I'm not asking
> that tongue in cheek.  How many might be able to get clear if the
> message was delivered in a timely manner?

In general nothing can be done about it. All upper case is pretty
good spam-sign. The source of the messages could reduce it to usual
sentence capitalization and solve the problem right out. I would
suggest that the SARE whitelist have the source of these warnings
included. But the rules used by any given site are up to the site
manager's whims and prerogative, as are the scores ultimately.

It would also help if the bozoids involved understood how SA works.
All caps is not a word or letter count sensitive rule.

{^_^}

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Tsunami warning hits the spam barrier

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.