Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com> on 2003/04/16 01:21:15 UTC

RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Hello.

I posted what I think is an improved version of the turbine website at:

http://dev.fenetics.com/turbine/

You can download the source if you want to make changes at:

http://dev.fenetics.com/turbine/jakarta-turbine-site.zip

I look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions.  As with any
largish change, there will be many places for improvements.  But overall I
think the site will be more helpful for new users.  It will also help direct
people to the wiki, which is where we have our best shot at maturing enough
content for official documentation.

Lastly, I will be out of town from Thursday into Monday (Viva Las Vegas!).
I hope to be accessible by email, but after tomorrow I will not be able to
make any changes to my posted version until Tuesday.

Thanks,

Chris

Changes of note:
* General editing and revision of most pages

* Wiki Shortcuts

* Service Specs, Howto's, Schema, and Pull Docs are in turbine-site instead
of turbine-2

* Added Jeff Linwood's Turbine Concepts Article

* Removed references to 3.0

* Added a page describing how to download turbine instead of a link directly
to the downloads

* Changed the Development->Documentation page to reflect the current effort

RE: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> From: Jeff Linwood
>
> * Combine Further Reading in General Information with Further Reading
> under Development
>
> * I really like the new improving documentation page, can we also
> mention maven site:generate?
>
> * Frequently Asked Questions should also say (FAQ) in the heading
>
> * Can we include some basic pointers about using maven to build Turbine
> from CVS HEAD?  And something about the project layout?

Jeff, thanks for taking a look!

I like your suggestions, and have made the changes.  I will upload the new
version to our dev server when I get into the office in the morning.

RE: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.
I will take a look at this tonight.

Quinton McCombs
NequalsOne - HealthCare marketing tools
mailto:qmccombs@NequalsOne.com
http://www.NequalsOne.com

RE: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.

(http://dev.fenetics.com/turbine/jakarta-turbine-site.zip) with the source

Re: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Jeff Linwood <je...@greenninja.com>.
From: "Chris K Chew" <ch...@fenetics.com>

> > From: Jeff Linwood [mailto:jeff@greenninja.com]
> >
> > One more thing, can you add Sing Li's article (under news) to the list
> > of articles in the Further Reading page?
> >
> > Also, I don't want to start a big fight here, but I can never find this
> > page for writing xdocs, so here is a link to add to the documentation
> > page for xdocs: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site-tags.html
>
> Jeff, I made your two suggested changes.
>
> http://dev.fenetics.com/turbine
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Great, thanks for the hard work on the new web site.
Jeff

RE: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.

Re: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Jeff Linwood <je...@greenninja.com>.

RE: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Re: RFC: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Jeff Linwood <je...@greenninja.com>.
Hi,

I like it, here are some notes:

* Combine Further Reading in General Information with Further Reading
under Development

* I really like the new improving documentation page, can we also
mention maven site:generate?

* Frequently Asked Questions should also say (FAQ) in the heading

* Can we include some basic pointers about using maven to build Turbine
from CVS HEAD?  And something about the project layout?

Great job!
Jeff

RE: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
> From: Quinton McCombs
>
> I would also move "J2EE integration", "core schema", "Model 2+1", and
> "Pull MVC model" to the site module.  The addition of javadocs (simple
> link to the javadocs of the curernt version) would be nice as well.

They are in there.  You can find "core schema" in the Turbine Doc Menu, and
the others in the further-reading area.  I also put a JavaDocs link in the
Documentation section of the menu on the left.

Thanks for looking it over!

Chris

RE: Some Website Cleanup

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qm...@nequalsone.com>.