Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Gaddy <dg...@sparctech.com> on 2002/04/06 09:51:52 UTC

Apache Error Messages with my specific httpd.conf file

I installed Apache 2.0 for Windows 2000 Pro, and I setup my httpd.conf file as I believe is correct.  I researched and read up from apache's website the usage of virtual name hosting.  I am using currently one IP address for 5 domains, 2 of the five are currently registered to my dns servers, and the others we will move over and setup mail on and everything AFTER we are 100% positive that apache IS in fact working correctly.  I am currently running my httpd.conf file successfully, as it does not fail to start or anything like that, and there are no ERRORS, but there are WARNINGS that I am not sure why they are there.  I have read the faq for the old version of Apache, as 2.0's faq is not yet out, and I am not seeing any issues for these particular warnings, as the majority of the faq's are *nix based, not windows... Yea yea, I know, I love Linux as well, but I have to run what my boss makes me run.  :)  Well, as far as the warnings, when I click on my TEST CONFIGURATION icon within my apache directory on my start menu, I get this:

[DATE] [warn] NameVirtualHost www.sparctech.com:80 has no VirtualHosts
[DATE] [warn] NameVirtualHost www.onewirenet.com:80 has no VirtualHosts
APACHE CONFIG FILE DIRECTORY - Syntax OK

Now, here is the key parts of my httpd.conf file:

1)Listen 24.242.177.229:80

2)Port 80

3)ServerName 24.242.177.229

4)NameVirtualHost www.technalithics.com:80
5)NameVirtualHost www.sparctech.com:80
6)NameVirtualHost www.personalharddrive.com:80
7)NameVirtualHost www.rover-phd.com:80
8)NameVirtualHost www.onewirenet.com:80

9)<VirtualHost www.technalithics.com:80>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/technalithics
ServerName www.technalithics.com
</VirtualHost>

10)<VirtualHost www.sparctech.com:80>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/sparctech
ServerName www.sparctech.com
</VirtualHost>

11)<VirtualHost www.personalharddrive.com:80>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/personalharddrive
ServerName www.personalharddrive.com
</VirtualHost>

12)<VirtualHost www.rover-phd.com:80>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/rover-phd
ServerName www.rover-phd.com
</VirtualHost>

13)<VirtualHost www.onewirenet.com:80>
ServerAdmin postmaster@technalithics.com
DocumentRoot c:/webserver/webs/onewirenet
ServerName www.onewirenet.com
</VirtualHost>

Here is a couple of my dns files just for any tech's troubleshooting ability.  I am currently maintaining our own company based dns server, mail server, web server, and ftp server all in one.  FTP is using WebWeaver currently, mail is using Software 602 LanSuite 2002, dns is using Bind 9.2.0, and web is pretty obvious.  The following excerpts are from my sparctech.db and onewirenet.db dns files, seeing as how they are the sites getting the warnings from apache.

SPARCTECH.DB

$ttl 86400
@   IN  SOA   ns1.technalithics.com.  hostmaster.technalithics.com.  (
                     10000025 ; Serial
                     3600    ; Refresh
                     300     ; Retry
                     3600000 ; Expire
                     3600 )  ; Minimum

@ IN  NS    ns1.technalithics.com.
 IN NS ns2.technalithics.com.

sparctech.com.  IN A 24.242.177.229
mail   IN A 24.242.177.229
www   IN  CNAME sparctech.com.
sparctech.com.  IN MX 5 mail.sparctech.com.

ONEWIRENET.DB

$ttl 86400
@   IN  SOA   ns1.technalithics.com.  hostmaster.technalithics.com.  (
                     10000020 ; Serial
                     3600    ; Refresh
                     300     ; Retry
                     3600000 ; Expire
                     3600 )  ; Minimum

@ IN  NS    ns1.technalithics.com.
 IN NS ns2.technalithics.com.

onewirenet.com.  IN  A     24.242.177.229
mail   IN A 24.242.177.229
www   IN CNAME onewirenet.com.
onewirenet.com.  IN MX 5 mail.onewirenet.com.

As you see, I clearly have a VirtualHost for www.sparctech.com:80 and www.onewirenet.com:80, yet it doesnt see it when I test the configuration.  I did some searching on the net for the same type of problems, and unfortunately was unable to find anything specific to my situation.  If anyone has any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, or not noticing, I would love to get the feedback.  The funny thing is that though it tells me there is no virtualhost for that address, the website is still being hosted perfectly by Apache.  Technically, there is NOTHING wrong on the usage side; however, I dont like seeing the warnings if they arent suppose to be there.  I just dont know if they are or arent.

Thanks for whatever help is possible,

Daniel