Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2017/12/13 22:29:15 UTC

Are there any "Upgrading from 4.x" notes for the alpha/beta 5.0 releases? (trying to update Solr)

I'm trying to prepare Solr for the release of the 5.0 versions of
httpcomponents.  When I update the ivy config to pull down the
alpha/beta 5.0 releases, there are naturally a lot of errors in the code.

The "Organize Imports" function in eclipse can find many of the classes
whose packages have changed, but I am also finding it difficult to
locate replacement classes for things that seem to have simply
disappeared.  One example is org.apache.http.message.AbstractHttpMessage.

Is there anyplace I can go to find documentation that can help me figure
out how to alter an existing project for the new version?

Side note:  It is likely that Solr is using paradigms and methods that
have been discouraged by this project for a long time.  Is there an IRC
channel for this project where I can have a more realtime discussion
with an expert?  I can open an issue in Jira on the SOLR project, but
I'm hoping for something a little less formal for the bulk of the
discussion.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Are there any "Upgrading from 4.x" notes for the alpha/beta 5.0 releases? (trying to update Solr)

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com>.
Hello,
I support such idea although I am aware the HC Team is not very big and
would need volunteers.

As an example, I must say that for example migrating from 4.2 to 4.5.X was
not very easy and lacked documentation.
Hopefully, it is in progress at JMeter project but having one for 4.5 =>
5.X would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:29 PM, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to prepare Solr for the release of the 5.0 versions of
> httpcomponents.  When I update the ivy config to pull down the
> alpha/beta 5.0 releases, there are naturally a lot of errors in the code.
>
> The "Organize Imports" function in eclipse can find many of the classes
> whose packages have changed, but I am also finding it difficult to
> locate replacement classes for things that seem to have simply
> disappeared.  One example is org.apache.http.message.AbstractHttpMessage.
>
> Is there anyplace I can go to find documentation that can help me figure
> out how to alter an existing project for the new version?
>
> Side note:  It is likely that Solr is using paradigms and methods that
> have been discouraged by this project for a long time.  Is there an IRC
> channel for this project where I can have a more realtime discussion
> with an expert?  I can open an issue in Jira on the SOLR project, but
> I'm hoping for something a little less formal for the bulk of the
> discussion.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.
Ubik-Ingénierie

UBIK LOAD PACK Web Site <http://www.ubikloadpack.com/>

UBIK LOAD PACK on TWITTER <https://twitter.com/ubikloadpack>

Re: Are there any "Upgrading from 4.x" notes for the alpha/beta 5.0 releases? (trying to update Solr)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2017-12-13 at 15:29 -0700, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I'm trying to prepare Solr for the release of the 5.0 versions of
> httpcomponents.  When I update the ivy config to pull down the
> alpha/beta 5.0 releases, there are naturally a lot of errors in the
> code.
>
> The "Organize Imports" function in eclipse can find many of the
> classes
> whose packages have changed, but I am also finding it difficult to
> locate replacement classes for things that seem to have simply
> disappeared.  One example is
> org.apache.http.message.AbstractHttpMessage.
>
> Is there anyplace I can go to find documentation that can help me
> figure
> out how to alter an existing project for the new version?
>
> Side note:  It is likely that Solr is using paradigms and methods
> that
> have been discouraged by this project for a long time.  Is there an
> IRC
> channel for this project where I can have a more realtime discussion
> with an expert?  I can open an issue in Jira on the SOLR project, but
> I'm hoping for something a little less formal for the bulk of the
> discussion.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Hi Shawn

If you set up a channel at HipChat or elsewhere I'll happily answer
your questions in real time.

Cheers

Oleg