Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com> on 2010/11/03 20:32:58 UTC

SSD vs. HDD

Hi,
we have a continuous high throughput writes, read and delete, and we are
trying to find the best hardware.
Is using SSD for Cassandra improves performance? Did any one compare SSD
vs. HDD? and any recommendations on SSDs?

Thanks,
Alaa

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com>.
around 1800 col/sec per node, 3kb columns, reading is the same.
Data will be deleted after 4 hours.

--
Alaa Zubaidi
PDF Solutions, Inc.

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Terje Marthinussen <tm...@gmail.com>.

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Jonathan Shook <js...@gmail.com>.
Ah. Point taken on the random access SSD performance. I was trying to
emphasize the relative failure rates given the two scenarios. I didn't
mean to imply that SSD random access performance was not a likely
improvement here, just that it was a complicated trade-off in the
grand scheme of things.. Thanks for catching my goof.

Re: latest rows

Posted by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com>.
Thank you guys ...

Re: latest rows

Posted by Matthew Dennis <md...@datastax.com>.
+1 on avoiding OPP

Re: latest rows

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

Re: latest rows

Posted by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com>.
Hi Tyler,

Thanks for you input, but we have a set key that consists of
name:timestamp that we are using.. and we need to also retrieve the
oldest data as well..

Thanks

Re: latest rows

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

Re: latest rows

Posted by Tan Yeh Zheng <ye...@chartnexus.com>.

--
Best Regards,

Tan Yeh Zheng
Software Programmer

____________ ChartNexus® :: Chart Your Success ____________

ChartNexus Pte. Ltd.

15 Enggor Street #10-01
Realty Center
Singapore 079716
Tel:  (65) 6491 1456
Website: www.chartnexus.com

Disclaimer:
This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the
individual or individuals named above and may contain information that
is privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is
strictly prohibited.

Re: latest rows

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

latest rows

Posted by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com>.
Hi,

What is the best way to retrieve the latest rows from a CF with OPP.

We are using OPP and key range queries but I cannot find an easy way to
get the latest 10 keys for example from a column family with 1000s of keys.
I really don't want to create another CF to store row key names as
columns and then retrieve the latest columns from this CF and use the
row keys to retrieve the latest data.

Regards and Thanks,
Alaa

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Nick Telford <ni...@gmail.com>.
If you're experiencing high I/O load and not getting any Java OutOfMemory
(OOM) errors, you should try to keep your heap size as low as possible as
this provides the OS filesystem cache with more memory, which will reduce
read I/O load significantly. I'm not familiar the performance of Windows
filesystems, but I imagine NTFS is somewhat on a par with what we're
familiar with in Linux.

The row cache will be useful in cases where you have a high read/write ratio
(more reads than writes) especially if most of those reads are confined to a
specific subset of data. The key cache will also improve read performance
(which will be your main I/O bottleneck) with much less of a memory impact,
so in your case I would recommend enabling it for as many keys as possible.

Riptano have a pretty decent explanation of tuning Cassandra that I highly
recommend you read: http://www.riptano.com/docs/0.6.5/operations/tuning

<http://www.riptano.com/docs/0.6.5/operations/tuning>Regards,

Nick Telford

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com>.
Thanks for the advise...

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com>.
Its a little bit different than what most people use it for, and that's
why we are trying to test it, to see if we can benefit from the speed of
writing/reading, scalability when and if we need it, and also the coast.
and part of the testing we are doing, is trying to see how many nodes do
we need in our cluster, since we know the data volume, so far, its
almost double what we were calculating and hoping, which is a not so
good thing..

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Juho Mäkinen <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Nick Telford <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@riptano.com>.

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Eric Rosenberry <er...@rosenberry.org>.
Some comments inline...

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Jonathan Shook <js...@gmail.com> wrote:

> SSDs are not reliable after a (relatively-low compared to spinning
> disk) number of writes.
> They may significantly boost performance if used on the "journal"
> storage, but will suffer short lifetimes for highly-random write
> patterns.

I agree with this statement in general, however, my understanding is
that Cassandra NEVER does random writes.  It only ever does large sequential
writes.  Cassandra could potentially be the perfect use case for MLC
(multi-level-cell) SSD's.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Tyler Hobbs <ty...@riptano.com> wrote:

> You do *not* want to waste an SSD on the commitlog drive, as even a slow
> HDD can write sequentially very quickly.  For the data drive, they might
> make sense.

Totally agreed, we do a few thousand writes per second on a single 7200rpm
SATA disk.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Alaa Zubaidi <al...@pdf.com> wrote:

> around 1800 col/sec per node, 3kb columns, reading is the same.
> Data will be deleted after 4 hours.

Hmm, only keeping the data for 4 hours could present some unique challenges
with Cassandra since it does not actually delete the data (it only
tombstones the data).  There are several factors that play into when exactly
the data actually goes away

-Eric

Re: SSD vs. HDD

Posted by Jonathan Shook <js...@gmail.com>.