Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Michael Han <ha...@apache.org> on 2017/09/06 13:30:03 UTC

Re: Regarding stable release plan from 3.5 branch

I am not aware of any concrete plans being made - though we are definitely
heading to the direction of making first stable 3.5 release.

Speaking of that, should we do another beta release before stable release?
Quality wise the current branch-3.5 is not at the same quality comparing to
branch-3.4:
https://builds.apache.org/job/ZooKeeper-Find-Flaky-Tests/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/report.html.
branch-3.4 is very clean in terms of flaky and branch-3.5 is not. Also if
we look at recent tests [1] [2] there are quite a few batch failures (which
was filtered out by the flaky test checking script that's why they did not
appear in dashboard), which worth investigation.

Feature wise, I think we are in good shape after ZOOKEEPER-1045 being
ported to branch-3.5. Though this SASL based quorum peer authentication
feature does not work with reconfig yet. Since reconfig is disabled by
default, I think it's fine we ship without both working together, but
others might have a different opinion. There are a few other patches that
we should probably get in such as Jordan's usability improvements of
reconfig [3].

There are also a few concurrency related bugs that's worth to fix before
getting to stable, such as [4].

It'll also be cool to run Jepsen on branch-3.5 (ZOOKEEPER-2704) before we
declaring the branch is stable.

TL;DR - IMHO I think we are in good shape, but we need do something to
improve the quality before we release, as stabilization and quality is a
big deal for ZooKeeper.

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/ZooKeeper_branch35_jdk8/
[2] https://builds.apache.org/job/ZooKeeper_branch35_jdk7/
[3] https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/249