Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Jakob Færch (Trifork)" <jr...@trifork.com> on 2005/12/15 09:24:50 UTC

Where does output from bean code to System.err go?

I'm deploying an application where beans System.err.println's exception,
then throws a new exception without wrapping the original. The
application is the Adventure Builder sample application - so making the
code behave is not an option.

The "println instead of logging" behaviour makes debugging quite
uncomfortable, since I can't seem to find the System.err.println output
anywhere. It doesn't seem to go into var/log/geronimo.log.
Errors printed from ejbCreate()'s during startup appears on the console
(interweaved with log4j output).

Can anyone help me locate the missing output?

Jakob

Re: Where does output from bean code to System.err go?

Posted by "Jakob Færch (Trifork)" <jr...@trifork.com>.
John Sisson wrote:

> The geronimo.sh start command issues a command along the lines of:
>
>    java -jar bin/server.jar --long  >> var/log/geronimo.out 2>&1 &
>
> Run the geronimo.sh script without any arguments for help (and other
> ways of starting geronimo, e.g. in the foreground or under a debugger).

Thanks; this combined with a tweak to the log conf file to not append
log output to console made me see the error output.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
In Geronimo 1.0 some new startup scripts have been provided that are
very similar in operation to Tomcat's startup scripts.  There are two
ways Geronimo can be started that result in output being redirected to a
file:

1. geronimo.sh start
2. startup.sh (this script invokes geronimo.sh with the start option.

The geronimo.sh start command issues a command along the lines of:

    java -jar bin/server.jar --long  >> var/log/geronimo.out 2>&1 &

Run the geronimo.sh script without any arguments for help (and other
ways of starting geronimo, e.g. in the foreground or under a debugger).

John

Posted by Dave Levitt <da...@gmail.com>.