Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Steffen Mazanek <ma...@steffen-mazanek.de> on 2007/02/28 08:35:53 UTC

jjtree->javacc

Hello,

I am pretty new to maven. Currently I try to run jjtree on a file and
pass the result to javacc. Is there a standard way to do this
with the javacc-maven-plugin? The default outputDirectory of
the jjtree goal is target/generated-sources/jjtree, but javacc is looking
for files in src/main/javacc.
What is the maven convention in such cases? Should generated files go
to target (-> plugins may point to target for input?!) or source in general?

My experiences with Maven are very good up to now. Migrating
an old project is a lot simpler than I originally expected.

Best regards,

Steffen

Re: jjtree->javacc

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
woah woah waoh... I never said to put generated sources in the src
directory... never, never do that! Keep the jjtree outputdirectory to be
target/generate-sources/jjtree... then set javacc source directory to be the
same (target/generate-sources/jjtree).

Eric

On 2/28/07, Steffen Mazanek <ma...@steffen-mazanek.de> wrote:

> Thank you, Eric and Wayne,
>
> it does work now. However, I guess this is a more general problem.
> How would you explain, that generated sources go to the src-directory
> again? Isn't this a bit unattractive? Everybody would look into
> target/generated-sources first.
>
> Again, thank you for your help.
>
> Steffen
>
> Eric Redmond schrieb:
> > http://mojo.codehaus.org/javacc-maven-plugin/jjtree-mojo.html
> > http://mojo.codehaus.org/javacc-maven-plugin/javacc-mojo.html
> >
> > Configure the javacc sourceDirectory to jjtree's outputDirectory. I
> > suggest
> > using a common property (like ${jjtree.output} or something).
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > On 2/28/07, Steffen Mazanek <ma...@steffen-mazanek.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am pretty new to maven. Currently I try to run jjtree on a file and
> >> pass the result to javacc. Is there a standard way to do this
> >> with the javacc-maven-plugin? The default outputDirectory of
> >> the jjtree goal is target/generated-sources/jjtree, but javacc is
> >> looking
> >> for files in src/main/javacc.
> >> What is the maven convention in such cases? Should generated files go
> >> to target (-> plugins may point to target for input?!) or source in
> >> general?
> >>
> >> My experiences with Maven are very good up to now. Migrating
> >> an old project is a lot simpler than I originally expected.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Steffen

Eric Redmond
http://codehaus.org/~eredmond

Re: jjtree->javacc

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
I would send all generated-sources to target. And configure javacc to
look in generated-sources for its own sources. Perhaps you need both
generated-sources-jjtree and generated-sources-javacc directories?

I do not (ever) put generated things into my src/.

Wayne

Re: jjtree->javacc

Posted by Steffen Mazanek <ma...@steffen-mazanek.de>.
Thank you, Eric and Wayne,

Re: jjtree->javacc

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
http://mojo.codehaus.org/javacc-maven-plugin/jjtree-mojo.html
http://mojo.codehaus.org/javacc-maven-plugin/javacc-mojo.html

Configure the javacc sourceDirectory to jjtree's outputDirectory. I suggest
using a common property (like ${jjtree.output} or something).

Eric

On 2/28/07, Steffen Mazanek <ma...@steffen-mazanek.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am pretty new to maven. Currently I try to run jjtree on a file and
> pass the result to javacc. Is there a standard way to do this
> with the javacc-maven-plugin? The default outputDirectory of
> the jjtree goal is target/generated-sources/jjtree, but javacc is looking
> for files in src/main/javacc.
> What is the maven convention in such cases? Should generated files go
> to target (-> plugins may point to target for input?!) or source in
> general?
>
> My experiences with Maven are very good up to now. Migrating
> an old project is a lot simpler than I originally expected.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steffen

Eric Redmond
http://codehaus.org/~eredmond

Re: jjtree->javacc

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
In all likelihood, there's a configuration setting in the javacc
plugin that you can use to point javacc to look at target/ instead of
or in addition to src/. Or perhaps a configuration setting in the
jjtree plugin to output into src/ rather than target.

And if there's not, that sounds like a reasonable enhancement request
to file against the plugin. Also, you will want to make sure that you
bind javacc to a later phase or else the jjtree output might not yet
be available for javacc to run against.

Wayne