Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu> on 2006/08/21 17:24:55 UTC

Save variables

Is there a way to get the Simple Data Writer to save arbitrary variables
I have set in my test with each result? As an example I have a test that
can run against multiple hosts which is specified by a ${host} variable
being read from a CSV. Is there a way with the XML persistence option to
save that variable for each result so I can do reporting based on hosts?

-Eric

Re: Save variables

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Contributions always welcome - please open a Bugzilla enhancement
request with the details, and patches can be added to that (diff -u
format or use Eclipse).

It won't be trivial...

>From memory, the classes are:

SaveService
OldSaveService
SaveConfiguration

The Listeners don't actually handle the saving/loading of data; their
only involvement is to define what fields are to be saved via the
config gui, and to provide the file name.

The tricky bits are:
- details need to be provided in jmeter.properties so that the -l flag
works in non-GUI mode
- it should work in CSV and XML mode
- need to ensure that the XML and CSV files can be read back in. This
should be trivial for CSV (just ignore the extra columns). May be
tricky for XML
- should not cause problems for existing XSL stylesheets.

I think the simplest would be to provide a list of variable names as
the value of a property in jmeter.properties.

If this property is defined, then save the value of each variable.

For CSV, the names should be added to the header line
For XML,  I think there needs to be a new tag, with the name of the
variable as an attribute. Not sure if there needs to be an enclosing
group tag as well.

It might be easy to create a new Listener with a field to define the
variable names - or perhaps the common Filename panel could be
extended to add a variable name box; in which cases the property would
not be used.

Otherwise, perhaps extend the SaveConfig GUI to add a check-box
whether or not to save the extra fields, and take the field names from
the property.

Re: Save variables

Posted by Eric Dalquist <er...@doit.wisc.edu>.

Re: Save variables