Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/30 20:58:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] New Incubator Project for Enterprise Configuration

Hi All

Most of you probably know that Java EE Configuration currently is not
coming for EE 8. After having talked with many people, including the
Executive Committee, about doing s JSR as well on SE level, we come to the
point that the ideas, what configuration should do are still to different
to go for a standardization, especially on SE level. Nevertheless I myself
and others think we should continue with the work started. David Blevins
and as well people from Oracle, Redhat other companies and several JUGs
proposed we should go for an Apache project. I think this might even be a
better way to go forward. So we prepared a proposal for a new Apache
project called "Tamaya" (indian name for "in the middle"). Before starting
a vote I would like to discuss our ideas with you.

The current proposal is available on GitHub:
https://github.com/java-config/javaconfig-api/blob/master/src/main/asciidoc/incubator-proposal-tamaya.adoc

So I am looking for your valuable feedback.

Best,
Anatole

--
*Anatole Tresch*
Java Engineer & Architect, JSR Spec Lead

*Switzerland, Europe Zurich, GMT+1*
*Twitter:  @atsticks*
*Blogs: *
*​ <http://javaremarkables.blogspot.ch/>**http://javaeeconfig.blogspot.com/
<http://javaeeconfig.blogspot.com/>*

*Google: atsticks*

Re: [DISCUSS] New Incubator Project for Enterprise Configuration

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
That was definitely the purpose of my comment. Dunno which one should be
the target and if it's required at all. Just that having forces spread on 3
projects (at least in Apache) to manage configuration does not seem to me
appropriated.

Btw, commons-configuration is currently in proper section, so if it's
active and used maybe it's not the best stage. To be discussed in apache
commons @list.

> > I do think it's an interested and important topic.
> >
> > Was wondering what's Anatole position as the Configuration JSR as been
> > deferred from Java EE 8.
> > Even if Mark and Gerhard are also part of DeltaSpike, that'd be great to
> > avoid having many different configuration projects in Apache and then
> > splitting forces.
> > Probably also a good opportunity to move commons-configuration from
> > proper/dormant.
> >

> Not sure about this last part, [configuration] is active and it will
> be important to keep it active. But it doesn't prevent to implement
> any other JSR as we did for [jcs]. That's what I'd do: enrich an
> existing project with this "api" and "EE" side.
>
> wdyt?
>
> > Jean-Louis

> >> Anatole,
> >>
> >> Thirded to the same notes.
> >>
> >> If you haven't read it already, please look at how to start the proposal
> >> (you have mostly the right form, just needs to be on the wiki).
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html .  You should be able
> >> assume that the sponsoring entity is the incubator as well.  Your core
> >> developers and initial committers don't match.  Was this on purpose?
> >> Please also list a champion.  For all intents and purposes, that should
> be
> >> you Anatole.
> >>
> >> If you're looking for assistance in mentors you can include me.
> >>
> >> John
> >>
> >> On Sun Nov 02 2014 at 12:01:02 AM Roman Shaposhnik <
> roman@shaposhnik.org>

> would

> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/

> > --
> > Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Re: [DISCUSS] New Incubator Project for Enterprise Configuration

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
I do think it's an interested and important topic.

Was wondering what's Anatole position as the Configuration JSR as been
deferred from Java EE 8.
Even if Mark and Gerhard are also part of DeltaSpike, that'd be great to
avoid having many different configuration projects in Apache and then
splitting forces.
Probably also a good opportunity to move commons-configuration from
proper/dormant.

Jean-Louis

> Anatole,
>
> Thirded to the same notes.
>
> If you haven't read it already, please look at how to start the proposal
> (you have mostly the right form, just needs to be on the wiki).
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html .  You should be able to
> assume that the sponsoring entity is the incubator as well.  Your core
> developers and initial committers don't match.  Was this on purpose?
> Please also list a champion.  For all intents and purposes, that should be
> you Anatole.
>
> If you're looking for assistance in mentors you can include me.
>
> John
>
> On Sun Nov 02 2014 at 12:01:02 AM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 1:42 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> > <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Hi Anatole,

> > master/src/main/asciidoc/incubator-proposal-tamaya.adoc ...
> > >
> > > Looks interesting, I would vote +1 to incubate the project once you
> > > have recruited 3 mentors - maybe the people listed as "sponsors" would
> > > take this role?
> > >
> > > You'll need to move the proposal to http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
> > > before we can vote on it, to get write access to that create an
> > > account and let us know your username.
> >
> > This looks interesting to me as well. Both points that Bertrand raised
> > are fully seconded, btw.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Roman.

Jean-Louis

Re: [DISCUSS] New Incubator Project for Enterprise Configuration

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Anatole,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Anatole,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...The current proposal is available on GitHub:
> https://github.com/java-config/javaconfig-api/blob/master/src/main/asciidoc/incubator-proposal-tamaya.adoc ...

Looks interesting, I would vote +1 to incubate the project once you
have recruited 3 mentors - maybe the people listed as "sponsors" would
take this role?

You'll need to move the proposal to http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
before we can vote on it, to get write access to that create an
account and let us know your username.

-Bertrand