Posted to user@flink.apache.org by srimugunthan dhandapani <sr...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/06 18:35:54 UTC

Accessing source table data from hive/Presto

Hi all,
I read the Flink documentation  and came across the connectors supported
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/dev/connectors/index.html#bundled-connectors

We have some data that  resides in Hive/Presto that needs to be made
available to the flink job. The data in the hive or presto can be updated
once in a day or less than that.

Ideally we will connect to the hive or presto , run the query and get back
the results and use it in a flink job.
What are the options to achieve something like that?

Thanks,
mugunthan

Re: Accessing source table data from hive/Presto

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Do you want to read the data once or monitor a directory and process new
files as they appear?

Reading from S3 with Flink's current MonitoringFileSource implementation is
not working reliably due to S3's eventual consistent list operation (see
FLINK-9940 [1]).
Reading a directory also has some issues as it won't work with
checkpointing enabled.

These limitations could be worked around with custom source implementations.

Best, Fabian

Posted by srimugunthan dhandapani <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mugunthan,